UFT Tutorial | Learn Unified Functional Testing – Best Guide
Last updated on 11th Jan 2022, Blog, Tutorials
- Introduction to UFT
- What is UFT
- Installation of UFT
- Understanding UFT GUI
- Language support
- Minimum Requirements to run UFT
- Desktop Shortcuts of Unified Functional Testing
- Unified Functional Testing Start Menu Options
- Technologies at UFT supports
- Developed by HP.
- Runs only on Windows.
- Earlier referred to as QTP.
- VBScript is employed for writing the tests.
- UFT is often wont to automate applications developed in various platforms like Web, Java, .Net, WPF, Database, Web services, SAP, Oracle, Siebel, PeopleSoft, Delphi, Power Builder, Stingray, Terminal Emulator, Flex, Mobile applications, VisualAge, Silverlight, mainframe and terminal emulators.
- UFT also stands for Unified Functional Testing, maybe a testing tool designed by the American MNC enterprise IT company Hewlett Packard Enterprise based in California’s San Jose. Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is often utilized to check Graphical interface and Application Programming Interface, which are essentially a part of any company with but 10,000 employees or over 1000M USD in overall revenue.
- Currently, the newest version of HPE Unified Functional Testing is the UFT 14. Before the discharge of the UFT 14, HP has been counting on QTP to hold out the functional testing of any GUI and therefore the HP Service Test to check the general functioning of the API. After HP released the UFT 11.50, HPE made bound to combine the simplest of QTP and repair Tests and named the combining tool Unified Functional Testing.
- In UTF, Unified stands for progressive testing by integrating API and GUI. it’s far and out from the easiest testing tool for powerful functionalities that companies can blend into their back-end and front-end software applications. Compatible with HP, the UFT 14 offers better documentation help.
- UFT offers a superb assist for Business Process Testing, an excellent component-based framework for testing to supply an efficient and powerful platform for testing overall business processes both automatically and manually.
- The blend between automation and manual testing offers less duplication and therefore the reusability component, making the testing quite faster. If structured industrialization is the demand for businesses, then UFT is the answer, the all-in-one solution. If you’d wish to evolve a UFT Certified experienced, enroll in our UFT Online Training. This system will assist you to realize excellence in this domain.
- The below dialog allows you to pick the add-ins for various platforms.
- Custom found out – UFT Add-ins
- The below image shows how we will configure the UFT installation.
- The first option allows you to configure the web Explorer so that UFT can automate web applications in IE.
- If you decide on the second option, you’d be ready to run the UFT tests from ALM (Quality Center).
- If you decide on a third checkbox, you’d be ready to run UFT tests using the Automation object model.
- Finally, you’ll select the last checkbox so that UFT will download and install the Microsoft script debugger. The debugger is required to debug the UFT scripts. Otherwise, breakpoints won’t work needless to say.
- Double Core or Better Processor (Minimum Intel 8th Gen)
- Windows 8.1 or better
- Minimum of 2GB RAM. If your computer has additional memory, for instance, a minimum of 4GB or 8GB to feature far more add-ins and save results during the general run sessions.
- 16-bit Color Support
- Incorporated HD graphics or 1GB devoted graphics from NVIDIA or AMD Radeon
- Free H disc drive Space of 1 GB for storing system files, application folders, and files. confirm that your computer also will have 120MB of complete disc space of system disk
Introduction to UFT:
The main features of UFT are mentioned below.
What is UFT:
Installation of UFT:
At the beginning of the installation, you’ll see the below dialogs.
Understanding UFT GUI:
add-ins – For testing the applications developed in other technologies like Java, .Net, WPF, SAP, you ought to load that add-in
object repository – Objects are stored in the object repository.
Object Repository Manager – we will edit the shared object repository using Object Repository Manager
test settings – Allows you to configure important test settings like object synchronization timeout, website navigation timeout, library files
object spy – Object spy is employed to find out the properties and values of the objects. we will also highlight the objects using object spy
Recovery Scenario Manager – This allows you to add/remove recovery scenarios
UFT makes use of a VBScript, which may be a scripting language. By the looks of it, it’s the sole scripting language that ultimately supports the Integrated Development Environment of UFT. Integrated Development Environment is the interface of QTP. aside from VBScript, UFT also openly supports Windows Shell Script and Java. However, it’s recommended to use VBScript as users can take great advantage of Object-Oriented Programming, but not inheritance and polymorphism.
Minimum Requirements to run UFT:
HPE suggests certain minimum requirements for a computer or laptop to put in and run the powerful testing tool. The minimum requirements to put in and run the UFT tool are:
Desktop Shortcuts of Unified Functional Testing:
First Shortcut- The primary shortcut that you’re going to find on the desktop screen is the HP Unified Functional Testing.
Second Shortcut- The second shortcut that comes after most applications. The shortcut allows you to Run Results Viewer because the name suggests on your computer. Technically, the run results would automatically open when any test is completed. you furthermore may have the choice to open the run results separately by using the second shortcut.
Third Shortcut- The third and therefore the last shortcut is the Edge Agent for Function Testing. The difference between this shortcut and therefore the others is that Edge Agent is merely compatible with computers powered by Windows 10. Further indicating that if your OS is Windows 8 or maybe 8.1, then UFT won’t install Edge Agent. Additionally, if you would like to check applications on the dedicated Microsoft browser, Edge, you want to use this application rather than the default Edge browser.
Nevertheless, there are a couple of changes since the 2016 update of UFT. Reportedly UFT is currently not compatible with Microsoft Edge. Moreover, this is often also why it’s recommended to use the other Internet browser installed on your computer. Remember, Internet Exploration is present; however, it’s currently hidden altogether Windows 10 computers; all you’ve got to try to do is enable it.
Unified Functional Testing Start Menu Options:
Like any other application installed on Windows OS, UFT also acts like other programs because it stores the appliance during a start menu folder. Upon clicking on the Windows start logo, you will have to scroll on the beginning menu of Windows 10. Here, you’d also discover a beginning menu folder called HP Software. Now, you’ve got to click on the folder, then you will find numerous items inside the menu, as shown within the image above. You’ll find the subsequent list of things below:
Additional Installation Requirements: The application is going to be found in one among the choices within the HP Software start menu folder. However, this may pop up during the United Functional Testing time of installation. After checking in with the primary few system settings, you’ll manually select to uncheck those at will:
Configuring the settings to Internet Explorer: The setting will enable the users to put in the third-party UFT browser within the heart of Internet Explorer. Users must use the step if they want to check out the online applications on Internet Explorer.
Configuring the DCOM settings to integrate ALM: you’ll be required to see on the choice if you would like to run the scripts from the core HPE ALM application. the choice will then change the permissions of DCOM by opening up a firewall port on the Windows computer.
Configuring DCOM Settings for the Automation of Scripts: Some users preferring the necessity to regulate and run the HPE UFT installed on the admin computer must use this feature to regulate other computers. Checking the choice is completed by using the Automation Object Model.
The fourth configuration is merely found within the earlier version of HPE UFT. just in case you’re Download to put in the Microsoft Script Debugger: One piece of recommendation, if you are still running the older version, confirm to update it. However, if you favor the old version over the new one then, you’ll use this setting. Microsoft, on the opposite hand, has already removed the Script Debugger option from its official site. Till the debugger from Microsoft is back and online, you’ll start with MS script debugger.
2. The API Test Generator Wizard:
As the name suggests, this wizard will assist you to generate the required API tests directly from the services.
3. HP Edge Agent to oversee Functional Testing:
You’d got to believe the choice if you would like to check the online applications’ real power on Microsoft’s very one Edge Browser. it’s already mentioned above that Windows 10 is the only OS that will detect the sting Agent, which is installed automatically.
4. Flight API:
HPE provides this unique sample application to check API.
5. Flight GUI:
HPE provides the sample application to check GUI. to form use of the appliance, you’d require to login into the appliance.
6. Functional Testing License Wizard:
By using this wizard, users can install and manage the general seat license or maybe the concurrent license on the pc.
7. HP Micro Player:
With this application, UFT allows the users to register and even run sessions in video clips. Usually, these clips are held within the sort of .fbr files. The HP Micro Players single-handedly allows users to look at these videos at their convenient timing.
8. HP UFT Installation Validation Tool:
When you’re running the utility, confirm that you simply hit on the Analyze button to garner the whole inventory of the computer’s general settings. These scenes are of utmost preference to run UFT.
9. Runtime Engine Settings:
The Runtime Engine allows users to run all of the UFT Graphical interfaces. Business Process Tests alongside API Tests on the pc. the simplest part? the appliance won’t require you to put in the entire UFT IDE. within the dialogue box up Runtime Engine Settings, you will be ready to export or import settings to-/from the VBS file, change the settings or reset the factory default. Also, the Runtime Engine doesn’t require a particular license to run. Further, the settings’ ability to assist empower non-technical users is a huge help to organizations.
10. Test Batch Runner:
The Test Batch Runner makes it seamless to run numerous UFT tests during a single-most session. you’ll use the Add Tests directly from the folder menu. Moreover, you’ll also add tests and, at an equivalent time, create an overall batch file. Additionally, the batch files which are curated within the UFT are curated with the extension as .mtb.
Technologies at UFT supports:
UFT is presently known for Stingray 1, .NET, Oracle, Terminal Emulator, PeopleSoft, Seibel, Flex, Delphi, Windows Mobile, Power Builder, WPF, Web Services, Java, both Advanced and Core, SAP, Silverlight, VisualAge Smalltalk, terminal emulators. However, the catch is that this software will work counting on the version of UFT that you simply as users possess.
UFT may be a great initiative and innovation that came into being from the people in HP. it’s user-friendly, and therefore the IDE provides the simplest kind of API and GUI testing. Upgrading to the most recent version of UFT will tempt you to not reminisce about the older versions; the improvements are significant and noticeable.