What is ODI? ( Oracle Data Integrator ) – A Complete Beginners Guide
Last updated on 17th Dec 2021, Blog, General
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is an Extract, load and transform (ELT) tool produced by Oracle that offers a graphical environment to build, manage and maintain data integration processes in business intelligence systems.
- Introduction to ODI
- What is ODI?
- History of Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
- ODI Architecture
- Components of ODI
- ODI Console
- Reasons to choose ODI
- Installing ODI and Demonstration Environment
- Benefits of using ODI
- Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is a completely unique answer that meets all the mixing needs. Oracle is called as a Leader in 2018 Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Data integration tools. In this article, we’re going to analyze What is ODI?
- In today’s fast moving enterprise environment, organizations want extra specialised software program packages. Such packages need to make certain the capacity to proportion records among structures and packages. Projects that execute with those integration necessities want to be added on time.
Introduction to ODI
- Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is a statistics integration platform that consists of all the combination needs. It gives a brand new declarative layout technique this is used to outline the statistics transformation and integration system. Thus, ensuing in clean renovation and development.
- ODI gives a high-overall performance degree to execute the statistics validation and transformation system primarily based totally on an Extract, Load, and Transform (ELT) architecture. It additionally presents the maximum cost-powerful solution.
- ODI can provide a unified infrastructure to streamline statistics and alertness integration projects. It presents a graphical surroundings to build, manage, and preserve the statistics integration system.
What is ODI?
- In 2006, Oracle bought Sunopsis and advanced it as an Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). The foremost goal of ODI is to decorate the Oracle Fusion Middleware services that want to guide complicated objectives and reassets. Oracle persisted to offer separate ODI with its former ETL product Oracle Warehouse Builder.
- In 2010, Oracle made the primary replace to ODI with the discharge of Oracle Data Integrator 11g. ODI 11g made ODI a framework to apply via way of means of different merchandise which includes Oracle SQL, JDeveloper, and Developer.
- It additionally brought new capabilities which includes the ODI Console and JEE Agent. In later 2013, the ODI 12c changed into to be had with a number of the quality capabilities of Oracle Warehouse Builder.
History of Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
The ODI platform integrates with the Fusion Middleware platform and converts it right into a unmarried component. It gives run-time additives as Java EE programs and is superior to leverage the Oracle WebLogic Application Server’s capabilities.
ODI additives encompass capabilities for Enterprise-Scale Deployments, hardened security, scalability, and excessive availability.
- The repository is the primary factor of ODI. It is used to save the configuration records of projects, execution logs, IT infrastructure, scenarios, and metadata. Several repository times exist withinside the IT infrastructure, inclusive of User Acceptance, Development, QA, and Production.
- The repository structure is designed to permit numerous environments, change scenarios, and metadata. The repository additionally acts as a Version Control System wherein items are assigned and performed a model number.
- This repository consists of one Master Repository and numerous Work Repositories. Objects configured with the aid of using the consumer interface are saved in this type of repositories.
- The grasp repository shops the subsequent information.
- Topology information- server definitions, contexts, languages, technologies, schemas, and lots of more.
- Archived and versioned items.
- Work repositories consist of advanced items. Several paintings repositories exist withinside the equal ODI installation (to have a separate surroundings or suit the versioned lifestyles cycle). It shops the subsequent information.
- Projects- packages, folders, variables, commercial enterprise rules, procedures, Knowledge modules, and lots of more.
- Models- records save systems and metadata, records first-class constraints, records lineage, schema definition, fields and columns definitions, and lots of more.
- Scenarios execution- scenarios, logs, and scheduling information.
- When the paintings repository consists of best the execution information, it’s far called Execution Repository.
- Designer Navigator is used to designing the facts integrity assessments and builds alterations such as
- Automatic reverse-engineering of present databases and applications.
- Graphical preservation and improvement of integration interfaces and facts transformation.
- Automatic documentation generation. Customization of code generated.
- Visualization of facts flows withinside the interface.
- Security Navigator is used to coping with protection data in ODI. It permits customers to create customers and profiles and assign consumer rights for strategies on accepted objects. It additionally permits us to fine-music those rights at the item instances.
- Operator Navigator is a manufacturing tracking and control device designed for IT manufacturing operators. It can manipulate the interface executions withinside the classes and eventualities in manufacturing.
- Topology Navigator is used for coping with facts describing the data gadget’s logical and bodily architecture. It manages gadget data’s topology, the facts servers related to those schemas and technologies, contexts, languages, agents, and repositories.
- The facts server description, site, and system permit ODI to run the mixing interfaces in numerous bodily environments.
- ODI gives a Java API to carry out all of the design-time and run-time operations. ODI Software Development Kit (SDK) is to be had for standalone Java servers and applications.
- While designing, builders generate situations from the commercial enterprise rules. The code of such situations will retrieve from the repository with the aid of using Run-Time Agent. It connects information servers and orchestrates the code that executes on those servers. It retrieves the go back messages and codes for the execution.
- Also, logging facts which include the wide variety of execution time, processed records, and lots of more. The Run-Time Agents are of Two kinds.
- It runs withinside the Java Machine and may install had been required to perform the mixing flows.
- It may be deployed as an internet software and enjoy the functions of an software server.
- These retailers had been multi-threaded Java packages that guide load balancing and distribution over the facts system. It holds the execution time table this is described in ODI and is called an outside scheduler. It can invoke from the java API or net carrier interface.
Components of ODI
The additives of ODI structure is mentioned as follows:-
Learn Advanced ODI Certification Training Course to Build Your SkillsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
Studio and User Interface:
Developers, Operators, and Administrators use the ODI Studio to get right of entry to the repositories. Such a Fusion Client Platform is used for reverse-engineering the metadata, administer the infrastructure, operate, schedule, reveal executions, and expand projects.ODI Studio gives 4 Navigators to manipulate the diverse factors and steps of the ODI integration project:-
Java EE Agent:
- Users could have study get right of entry to to the repository, manufacturing operations, and carry out topology configuration through a internet-primarily based totally UI referred to as ODI Console. The internet software may be deployed withinside the Java EE software server like Oracle WebLogic.
- ODI gives a brand new plug-in to reveal and manipulate the Java EE and Standalone Agents that integrates with Oracle Fusion Middleware Control Console.
ODI Console :-
- Simplest structure: The ELT structure gets rid of the requirement of an ELT Server among goal and supply server. It makes use of the goal and supply servers to carry out complicated adjustments.
- Independent platform: ODI helps all structures, OSs, and Hardware with the identical software program.
- Data excellent firewall: ODI guarantees the defective information to be detected and recycled mechanically earlier than placing it into the goal application. For this, no programming is needed following information integrity regulations and constraints on ODI and goal application.
- Data connectivity: ODI helps all RDBMSs, together with main Data Warehouse structures inclusive of Teradata, Oracle, Sybase IQ, IBM DB2, Exadata, and numerous different technology inclusive of LDAP, flat files, XML, and ERPs.
- Faster improvement and protection: The declarative regulations-pushed technique to information integration reduces the product’s getting to know curve and will increase productiveness in the course of ongoing protection. Such an technique separates the definition of the strategies from the real implementation to declarative regulations from the information flows.
- Cost-saving: The removal of the ELT Server and ELT engine reduces the preliminary hardware and software program acquisition and protection expenses. This reduces the general expenses of the venture and the fee of ongoing enhancements.
- Better performance: The conventional ETL technique is evolved on one-of-a-kind engines that attain information adjustments row through row, restricting the performance. By enforcing an ELT structure, customers can execute information transformation on track servers primarily based totally on present SQL and RDBMS engines, giving a far better performance.
Reasons to choose ODI :-
The key motives why businesses need to pick ODI for the combination necessities are as follows:-
- Go to the ODI Downloads web page or use the given link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/data-integrator/downloads/index.html
- Download 11g ODI media Pack and the 11g demo surroundings for the platform to a brief folder.
- Extract the downloaded documents and run the subsequent command with appreciate for your running machine.
Installing ODI and Demonstration Environment
Before putting in any additives of ODI, undergo the machine necessities and certification documentation to make sure that the surroundings meets the minimal set up necessities.The machine necessities report consists of all of the records which includes hardware and software program necessities, libraries, minimal disk area and reminiscence necessities, and libraries, patches, or programs necessities.To set up the ODI, do the subsequent steps:-
Benefits of using ODI
1. The fundamental benefit of ODI is that it makes use of the local functionality of goal and supply structures that don’t require a separate server to put in ODI.
2. ODI is an ETL device that follows the ETL process.
3. All 4 navigators to be had in ODI studio are clean to navigate with a couple of windows.
4. It calls for much less time to process, much less workforce, lowest fee to control and set up.
5. Agents in ODI are the including benefit that could create and control independently on standalone machines or may be deployed on JVMs for excessive tracking and availability purpose.
6. It can carry out batch loading that offers higher overall performance and may carry out the row through row loading.
7. ODI doesn’t require excessive-overall performance servers or a separate server.
8. Quality manipulate is every other including benefit of ODI to clear out out the mistake facts and get them loaded right into a separate table.
9. Console get right of entry to offers the information flows among tables and sort of item loading to perceive how a change could have an effect on the alternative tables and jobs.
10. Version browser is likewise every other benefit this is to perceive the modifications among model objects.
Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) is an energetic integration platform that consists of all information integration styles, inclusive of event-based, service-based, and information-based. It combines all of the information integration elements, inclusive of information management, information movement, information services, and information synchronization, to make sure that statistics is accurate, consistent, and well timed over complicated systems.