35+ [FREQUENTLY ASK]: CommVault Interview Questions & Answers
Last updated on 04th Jul 2020, Blog, Interview Questions
- These CommVault Interview Questions have been designed specially to get you acquainted with the nature of questions you may encounter during your interview for the subject of CommVault .
- As per my experience good interviewers hardly plan to ask any particular question during your interview, normally questions start with some basic concept of the subject and later they continue based on further discussion and what you answer.we are going to cover top 100 CommVault Interview questions along with their detailed answers. We will be covering CommVault scenario based interview questions, CommVault interview questions for freshers as well as CommVault interview questions and answers for experienced.
Q1.What are the Features of CommVault?
- CommVault software delivers access, protection and sharing for e data reliably, securely and cost effectively whether in the filed, remote site or central office.
- Enhance productivity with secure file sync and share
- Reduce Risk, minimize data leakage, improve data availability and meet compliance requirements
- Simplify Administration with one robust solution for desktop, laptop and server data
- Lower the cost of protection remote and mobile data
- Access protected data from anywhere
Q2.What are commserve DR Procedures?
Hardware Fresh: Copy DR Set to Stand by commserve and perform Restore the CS DR set to satand by CS.
DR set can be restored in two ways:
- Install Commserve software and perform restore using commserve Disaster Recovery tool GUI. And later perform Name change or
- During Commserve Installtion, Perform Dr Restore from Existing backup.
Q3.What is a Storage Policy?
Storage associates the client Backup to storage Disk or Tape Lib. In that copy policy is used to set Retention.
Q4.What is Global Dedup Storage Policy?
The global deduplication policy enables deduplication across multiple storage policies that uses a common set of disk libraries and deduplication database (DDB).
Q5.What are the types of Copies and what are they?
There can be only one Primary Copy and Different types of AUXILARY/SECONDARY. The types of copies are.
- Selective Copy: A selective copy allows you to copy specific full backup jobs from a source copy, the source copy can be either a primary or a synchronous copy. Selective copy facilitates better tape rotation.
- Inline copy: Here Both Primary and Secondary copy are written to storage during Backup Phase itself. Incase if the secondary storage doesn’t have enough space then backup will fail.
- Synchronous copy: In synchronous copy all data of primary is copied.
Q6.What are the other ways of doing High availability?
- Log shipping.
- SQL Mirroring.
- Clustering at SQL Level.
Q7.How to move the DDB to the New Media Agent?
Right-click the mount path, and then click Share Mount Path. point to new Media Agent. Set it to dafault mount Path. If it is a Tape Library configure tape lib and change datapath.
Q8.What is InteliSnap?
It takes a snapshot, and then resumes live operations. IntelliSnap backup works in conjunction with storage arrays to provide snapshot functionality for backup.
Q9.What is the use of the proxy server?
you can use a proxy server to reduce the load on the production server. The backup copy operation uses the proxy to move the snap to backup media.
- The Storage array is accessed to create a snapshot.
- The snapshot is mounted on the ESX server designated for the snap mount.
- The snapshot is unmounted.
- During the Backup Copy operations:
- The snapshot is mounted to the ESX server designated for the snap mount.
- The mounted snapshot is treated like file system and the required contents are read.
- The file system backup is performed to Primary Copy of the storage policy.
- When the backup copy job is finished, the snapshot is unmounted.
Q10.What are your day to day activities as Backup admin?
It begins with observance this jobs running in Job controller, confirm that No job ought to be in unfinished & Waiting state while not a legitimate Reason. conjointly check for suspended and queued Jobs. Check if any of the task possesses delay reasons, conjointly check for the roles that are running for over twenty four hours. Below are a number of the check-up tasks.
Q11.What area unit the options Of Commvault?
CommVault software system delivers access, protection and sharing for e information faithfully, firmly and value effectively whether or not within the field, remote web site or home office.
- Enhance productivity with secure file synchronization and share
- Reduce Risk, minimize information outpouring, improve information handiness and meet compliance necessities
- Simplify Administration with one strong answer for desktop, portable computer and server information
- Lower the value of protection remote and mobile information
- Access protected information from anyplace
Q12.What area unit Commserve Dr Procedures?
Hardware Fresh: Copy DR Set to square by commserve and perform Restore the cesium DR set to stand by cesium.DR set are often renovated in two ways in which.Install Commserve software system and perform restore mistreatment commserve Disaster Recovery tool user interface. And later perform Name modification or During Commserve Installation, Perform Dr Restore from Existing backup.
Q13.What’s A Storage Policy?
Storage associates the consumer Backup to storage Disk or Tape Library. in this copy policy is employed to line Retention.
Q14.What’s international Dedup Storage Policy?
The global reduplication policy permits reduplication across multiple storage policies that use a standard set of disk libraries and reduplication info (DDB).
Q15.Are you able to tell American state regarding your Infrastructure?
(1) Prod commserve m(1) DR/Standy Commserve and n(10-20) combine of Media Aegents and that we backup around n(2000) servers which incorporates Regular classification system, Databases like (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, SAP Oracle, DB2, SAP DB2 etc…). This conjointly includes VMW are photo backups (VADP/VCB) / intellect snap. Embrace all the backups that you perform on day to day. For Storage we’ve got reformer a hundred and fifty or HNAS with a complete capability of N(TB)
Q16.What are the Common/Regular backup failures?
A number of the common or frequent backup problems are:
- Network Communication issue
- Client services may be down
- Media agent Offline
- Destination Disk Library Fulani
- Data Path offline
- VSS photo backup failure
Q17.A way to use solely specific set of tapes for a server backup or for a listing of server backup?
produce a brand new scratch pool and move the specified media to new scratch pool and you’ll set at subclient that scratch pool to be used. You’ll conjointly do that at storage policy, copy policy level.
Q18.What’s distinction between artificial Full & Full Backup & Dash Full
Artificial full backup consolidates all the progressive backups since last full and appends to create it a full backup. Here the server (Client machine and network utilization is also terribly low compared to regular full). Whereas Full backup may be a complete full backup taken from server. And Dash full performs copies the distinctive blocks of the de-duplicated knowledge and updates the DDB and index files to create it a full backup.
Q19.What square measure the opposite ways in which Of Doing High Availability?
- Log shipping.
- SQL Mirroring.
- Clustering at SQL Level.
Q20.A way to Move The Ddb To The New Media Agent?
Right-click the mount path, then click Share Mount Path. purpose to new Media Agent. Set it to default mount Path. If it’s a Tape Library tack tape lib and alter datapath.
Q21. What is CommVault?
CommVault is a data protection and information management platform. It helps organizations access, protect and use all of their data to its true value. It is also used for taking data backups and recovery. CommVault is headquartered in Tinton Falls, New Jersey.
Q22. Explain the ways to restore data using CommServe?
There are two ways to restore the CommServe database to a new host using Disaster Recovery (DR) backups,
- Directly restore the backup data from a DR backup export location
- Retrieve the DR backup that is present in a disk or tape and then restore the backup data
Q23. Define storage policy in CommVault?
Storage policies are like a channel for backup and restore. It is used to map data from one location to physical media. There are three types of storage policies,
- Standard – backup and restore of all the sub-clients
- Incremental – incremental and differential backups
- Disaster Recovery backup – disaster recovery backup and CommServe disaster recovery
Q24. Explain the types of copies in CommVault?
We will have the data as one primary copy to which there will be secondary copies. We can create three types of secondary copies,
- Synchronous secondary copy – includes data from a source copy
- Selective secondary copy – includes valid full or synthetic full backup data
- IntelliSnap backup copy – manages the control of snapshots which are started by a backup job. Contains archived index data
Q25. What is DDB?
The Deduplication Database(DDB) is used to eliminate duplicates while taking backups of data. It is protected by DDB Backup Subclient. When we create a storage policy by enabling the deduplication, DDB Backup Subclient will also be automatically created under the File System Agent on the MediaAgent client in which the DDBs are hosted.
Q26. Explain about Global Dedup Storage Policy?
The global deduplication policy furnishes a common deduplication database(DDB) that can be shared by various storage policy copies. It allows the deduplication of data from multiple copies which results in removing redundant data.
Q27.What is the process of moving DDB to a new Media Agent?
- Go to ‘Deduplication Engines’ under ‘Storage Resources’
- Choose the DDB that you want to move and right-click on it and then click on ‘Move Partitions’
- Choose the new MediaAgent in the ‘Target Media Agent’
- Give the path to which you want to move the partition to in the ‘Add Partition Field’
Q28. Explain about DDB seeding?
DDB seeding is a predefined workflow that enables the data transfer of initial baseline backup between two sites with the help of a removable disk drive like a USB device. We can manually start this workflow too from the CommCell console.
Q29. What is the default block size for deduplication?
128KB is the default block size for deduplication.
Q30. What is the percentage of the deduplication ratio that you were able to maintain?
This question will be mostly asked to a CommVault experienced candidate. The deduplication ratio for file systems backups would be about 90% or more and for the database backups, it would be between 70% to 95%.
Get Commvault Certification Course to Get Best JOBs in Top MNCsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
Q31. What is difference between synthetic Full & Full Backup & Dash Full?
Synthetic full backup consolidates all the incremental backups since last full and appends to make it a full backup. Here the server (Client machine and network utilzation is aslo very low compared to regular full ). Whereas Full backup is a complete full backup taken from server. And Dash full performs copies the unique blocks of the de-duplicated data and updates the DDB and index files to make it a full backup.
Q32. What is Silo (De-duplication to tape).?
De-duplicated data is copied to tape after the primary de-duplication on Disk this is configured on global-dedup Storage policy.
Q33. What is Hash Algorithm?
Hash algorithm is applied on block of data after it is read from client machine and a unique signature is generated which is used to perform De-duplication.
Q34. What is the default block size set for de-duplication enabled storage policies?
Q35. What % of De-dup ratio were you able to maintain.?
For File system backups its above 90% and Database backups 70% – 95%.
Q36. Explain how VMware Backups works ?
Vmware snapshots backups are performed using Proxy server. On proxy server VSA (Virtual Server Agent) software is installed. Commvault communicates via Vcenter. Where a snapshot of VM is performed and it is mounted in Proxy server. From proxy the snapshot image is backedup to media agent.
Q37. What are different types of transport modes in VMware backup and their usage.?
Transport modes is used to determine which method to be used to mount the snapshot in proxy.
- Transport Mode SAN (storage area network) – SAN mode is supported for directly connected storage. The VSA should have access to the datastore LUNs that provide storage for VM disks.
- Data is read directly from the storage where VM resides. without going through the ESX host or transferring data over the local area network (LAN). The ESX host is contacted only to coordinate access to the LUN.
- HotAdd In HotAdd mode, the Virtual Server Agent is installed on a VM residing on an ESX Server. In HotAdd mode, the data volumes containing the VMs to be backed up are automatically mounted to the proxy, so they can be accessed by the proxy as a local disk.
- Local Area Network (NBD and NBDSSL) NBD (network block device) & NBDSSL (encrypted NBD) transmit data over the TCP/IP connection between the ESX server and the proxy computer.
- NBDSSL is similar to NBD mode, but data transfer between the proxy computer and the ESX server is encrypted.
Q38. How you configure a Cluster backup?
Create a cluster group and add the client machines in it and perform a sync, For windows during Commvault client software instaltion. It prompts for installtion on passive node(for windows). Perform installation and schedule backup.
Q39. Tell me about the infrastructure that you worked on previously?
This question will be mostly asked to a CommVault experienced candidate. The answer should include the number of Prod CommServe, DR CommServe, Media Agents, etc. Mention about all the backup servers that you have used.
Q40. How can we access reports in CommVault?
To get access to reports, go to the web console by hitting the URL in a browser. Log into your account and click on ‘Reports’. In the case of a private metrics reporting server, you will be able to view the reports in the CommCell console.
Q41.W hat’s the utilization of the Proxy Server?
You can use a proxy server to cut back the load on the assembly server. The backup copy operation uses the proxy to makeover the snap to backup media.
- The Storage array is accessed to make a photograph.
- The photograph is mounted on the ESX server selected for the snap mount.
- The photograph is uncounted.
Q42.What square measure your Day To Day Activities As Backup Admin?
It begins with observation this jobs running in Job controller, confirm that No job ought to be in unfinished & Waiting state while not a sound Reason. Additionally check for suspended and queued Jobs. Check if any of the work possesses delay reasons, additionally check for the roles that square measure running for over twenty four hours. Below square measure a number of the medical tasks.
Q43. Explain about Intellisnap?
Intellisnap backup is used to create a point-in-time snapshot of the data. It is mainly used for taking backup of live data and then continuing the live operations.
Q44. Explain about IRM?
IntelliSnap recovery manager (IRM) is used to execute hardware storage systems snapshots into a recovery process with no effect on the production server. It also provides a centralized configuration wizard through which we can configure storage media, policies, etc.
Q45. What is the use of a proxy server
To reduce the load on the production server, a proxy server is created. Any requests or operations will be first performed on this proxy server. These proxies can also be used for taking backups.
Q46. What is the process that happens in backup copy operations in the proxy server?
- The snapshot will be mounted to the ESX server
- Once the snapshot is mounted, it will be treated as a file system, so the required contents can be read
- The primary copy will be used to perform the file system backup
- After the backup job is done, the snapshot will be unmounted
Q47. What are the types of backups available in CommVault?
Commvault provides efficient backup and restores functionalities for any enterprise. These are the types of backups available in CommVault,
- Full Backup
- Incremental Backup
- Differential Backup
- Synthetic Full Backup
- Selective Online Full Backup
- Block-Level Backup
Q48. What are the day-to-day activities of a backup admin?
Most importantly, an admin has to monitor the scheduled jobs in the job controller and ensure the proper functioning of jobs. They would also have to carry out the following tasks,
- Check the status of Tape and Disk libraries, Media Agent and verify that they are not offline
- See if there is any free space in Disk libraries, DDB paths, and Index Cache
- Extract a backup report that contains the failed jobs, completed with errors, completed with warnings, and also killed jobs. So action can be taken accordingly
- Check for Deployment, Decommission, Restores, etc within a ticketing tool
Q49.What is going to of De-dup magnitude relation were you ready to maintain?
For classification system backups its on top of ninetieth and information backups seventieth – ninety fifth
Q50.Justify however VMware Backups works?
VMware snapshots backups’ area unit performed mistreatment Proxy server. On proxy server VSA (Virtual Server Agent) software system is put in. Commvault communicates via Vcenter. Wherever a exposure of VM is performed and it’s mounted in Proxy server. From proxy the exposure image is backed up to media agent.
Attend Hands-on Commvault Training from Real-Time Experts & Build Your Skills
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
Q51.What is going to Of De-dup quantitative relation Were you ready to Maintain?
For filing system backups it’s on top of ninetieth and information backups seventieth – ninety fifth.
Q52. What are the most frequent backup failures?
Here are some of the most frequent backup failures,
- Network issue
- Client services are down
- Media Agent might be offline
- Destination Disk library full
- Data Path offline
- VSS snapshot backup failure
Q53. How can we configure a cluster backup?
The following steps are followed in configuring a cluster backup,
- Create a cluster group
- Add all the nodes to it to perform a sync
- It asks for installation on passive nodes for Windows
- Complete the installation
- Choose a backup that you want to perform and schedule it
Q54. How can we use a specific set of tapes for a server backup?
We have to create a new scratch pool and add the media to it. Attach a subclient to the scratch pool. This can be done at two levels,
- Storage policy level
- Copy policy level
Q55. Explain the difference between Synthetic full, Full Backup and Dash full backups?
Synthetic full backups reduce the load on the production environment as they are created on the backup repository
- Full backups perform full data backups of all the agents in a client computer in their respective subclient
- Dash full backups copy data signatures instead of the actual data thus improving data copy performance
Q56. Explain about the hash algorithm?
The hash algorithm reads a block of data from the source and generates a unique signature for that block. This is used for deduplication in CommVault.
Q57. Explain about Silo in CommVault?
A set of disk volume folders associated with DDB and contains deduplication data is called a Silo. This is used to eliminate data restore from tape to disk library.
Q58. Why should we hire you?
- This is a very common question that is asked in almost every interview. I love this question because it gives you the opportunity to sell yourself. Discuss what makes you standout from the crowd and show them how you can help advance their company. Remember to be specific.
- This is where all the company research you have done comes into play. You should have an idea as to why the company is hiring or looking to hire someone for that position. What problem do they have that they are looking for people to help them solve. And once you can establish this, you are to show them how you can solve this problem for them.
- Highlight the qualities that make you the most qualified for the position, present yourself as the candidate that solves their problem
- Let them know that you already know certain things about the company and their general practice because you have researched the firm and are prepared.
- Tell a success story that emphasizes your qualities and how they helped solve a problem similar to theirs.
- When you are things like we already have lots of qualified candidates do not get discouraged. If they already have the right person for the job, they would not bother looking for someone to hire
- This is your chance to shine, do not ruin it by being too modest, but do not be arrogant
- Do not generalize things, it does not help
- Your response should be geared towards why you are the perfect fit for the job and not why you want the job.
Q59.what is the most difficult situation you have had to face and how did you tackle it?
The reason why you are asked this question is to hear what you consider difficult and how you approached the situation. Select a difficult work situation, which was not caused by you and can be explained in a few sentences. You can then show yourself in a positive light by explaining how you handled the situation.
Q60.What is your greatest strength?
This could be a very simple question if you are prepared for it. You just have to talk about the strengths that you know would be of value to the company.
- Make the most of this question. This question gives you the control to guide the interview to where you want it so take advantage.
- Emphasize the strengths you have that are crucial to the position
- Find out from the job description and from company research, the kind of strengths the company invests in.
- Do not be too modest or claim to be what you are not
- Do not try to mention things you cannot illustrate with a brief example
- Do not mention the strengths that are not relevant to the job at hand
Q61. what are your weaknesses?
- Turn this question into a strength question in disguise. For instance, say something like I do not like not being challenged at work or you could mention a weakness that has nothing to do with the job and that you can overcome with training.
- This way, you end up turning this potentially tricky question into a positive.
Sometimes, you may be asked about certain challenges you faced in your previous position. If you are asked this question, lean towards the problem that happened early in your carrier and that you were able to solve. Do not try to blame others, just identify the problem and the role you played in solving it.
Q62. how would your co-workers describe you?
Questions such as this one are asked with the aim of getting you to discuss some of your qualities, perhaps hidden that you would not have mentioned if you were not asked.
Well, my colleagues will tell you they can count on me. They will tell you that I am a team player and someone they enjoy working with.
Q63.Think of a good decision you made and a recent decision that wasn’t good. What did you do differently in making these decisions?
Your answers should focus on how well you can review relevant facts, consider various options and select the most appropriate option. Discuss how you factor in variables such as constraints and resources.
Q64.When delegating a recent duty, plz describe how you showed your confidence in the person’s ability to do the job?
Discuss your method of assigning responsibility to the best candidates. How you communicate with employees to make them understand what is expected of them and how you make sure that the employees have the resources needed to carry out specific tasks. You should also chip in your follow-up procedures.
Q65. Why do you want to work for us?
Here, they just want to know how motivated you are about the position or if you are just there for the pay. They want to ascertain that you would form an important part of the company. You have to show them that you are willing to be part of the company and would do all you can to ensure you and the company grows together.
Q66. would you describe a typical day in your current job?
As much as you want to sell your self in a good light, do not make the mistake of exaggerating your current position. Add some of your routine tasks to make it realistic and do not neglect things like paperwork. Try to be in the interviewers shoes as you answer this question. A job you have been doing for years should be part of you already and as such; you must know all the tasks you undertake. Try to show them that you plan well before you begin work and after you attain your goals, you review the process to see how you could be more efficient.
Q67.what is your greatest accomplishment?
This is just like the what is your greatest strength. question and should be treated similarly. You should pick accomplishments that show that you have the qualities the company is looking for and this adds value to you as a candidate for the position you are interviewing for. You may have achieved a lot over the years but for the sake of the interview, pick only the relevant one
- Highlight the accomplishments that show what makes you the perfect candidate for the position
- Show passion for the job as you discuss anything
- Do not ever think your accomplishments are too small. Remember that an accomplishment, no matter how little can be more relevant if it is line with the position than a massive breakthrough that is not related.
Q68. What are the entities that get backed up with VMWare backups?
We can perform backup on VMWare from a subclient. The entities that get backed up are,
- Windows and Linux virtual machines
- VM templates
- VMDK files
- Virtual RDMs
- GPT or dynamic disk volumes
- vSphere tags
- Fault-tolerant VMs
Q69. What are the types of transport modes available for VMWare backup?
The data of a Virtual Machine can be accessed by a VMware Backup Host using four methods,
- SAN – VMware Backup Host should reside on a physical machine and be able to access Fibre Channel or iSCSI SAN
- LAN – the data from storage will be read by ESX/ESXi host and sent to the VMware Backup Host through a network
- HotAdd – if the VMware Backup Host is on a VM, we can use HotAdd to attach the VMDKs of the Virtual Machine that is being backed up to the VMware Backup Host
- NBDSSL – this works similarly to LAN. In addition to LAN, NBDSSL uses SSL encryption for all the data that is passed through TCP/IP connection
Q70. Explain the difference between a clone and a snapshot
- A clone is like a duplicate of the database. It contains the exact copy of data as that of the database
- A snapshot is a copy of a database at a particular timestamp. We should take a subsequent snapshot if there are any changes made to the database. When we want to restore data, we will have a restore point to get the data from a certain point in time
Q71. What are CommVault Appliances?
Commvault HyperScale Appliance provides seamless scale and data protection solutions. It is mainly used for scaling out infrastructure with cloud-like economics. It is a storage architecture that provides a platform for indexing, storage, data security, automation, reporting, etc.
Q72. how do you respond to working under pressure?
The essence of this question is to test your composure, ability to solve problems and staying true to the task, even in unfavorable conditions. Give an example of a time where you were faced with a challenge and what you did to remedy the situation. In the process, highlight how you were calm and in control till everything was okay.
Q73. why do you wish to leave your present job
No matter what you say, do not mention negative things about your employer, neither should you mention anything about more money being the reason. The reason is simple; if you are leaving a company because of money to come to theirs, you will definitely leave them to move on to another if it promises a better paycheck. Your best bet is to ay it on responsibility and challenge and how your previous position want challenging you enough. Indicate that you yearn for more responsibility and how what you have to offer outweighs the responsibility and challenge posed by your former position.
Q74. what sort of salary are you looking for?
Note that whenever you are going for an interview, this question may be asked. Before going, try to find out what the average salary for someone holding that position in that industry is paid. This would help prepare you for what is in front of you.
Do not forget that this is only an interview and you have not been offered the job, so do not go on negotiating. Just state something within the range you have researched and move on.
Q75. How is data protected using Commvault?
Data is protected by installing agent software on the physical or virtual hosts, which use operating system or application native APIs to protect data in a consistent state.Production data is processed by the agent software on client computers and backed up through a data manager, the MediaAgent, to disk, tape, or cloud storage.All data management activity in the environment is tracked by a centralized server, the CommServe, and can be managed by administrators through a central user interface.End users can access protected data using web browsers and mobile devices.
Q76. What are the different Enterprise Data Mangement Solutions of Commvault?
Commvault has different Enterprise Data Management Solutions, they are:
- CLOUD DATA MANAGEMENT – Move, manage and use data effectively across multiple clouds and on-premises.
- DATA VIRTUALIZATION – Manage virtual infrastructures as they grow and diversify, with scalable protection, rapid recovery, and self-service.
- ENDPOINT PROTECTION – Secure and protect data at the network’s edge. Regain control and effectively manage the data that lives outside the datacenter.
- APPLICATIONS – Drive availability and rapid recovery of applications, innovate faster, and automate the migration to the cloud.
- COMMVAULT HYPERSCALE – Deliver the agility and business benefits of the cloud to your on-premises applications and data on a scale-out infrastructure.
Q77. What areas of data management does this this system support?
Commvault supports Data backup, Data recovery, Single view of on-premises and cloud data, Setting automated data policies, eDiscovery, Disaster recovery, GDPR readiness, Ransomware recovery options.
Q78. What is the breadth and depth of cloud support?
Commvault supports various cloud platforms including Microsfot Azure, Amaxon AWS, Oracle Cloud, Google Cloud and Private Clouds.
- Azure Virtual Machines
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure Blob Storage (Hot and Cool and Archive)
- Azure Data Box
- Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS)
- Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3 & S3-IA)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage (OCI)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage (S3 Compatible)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Archive
- Storage Classic (OCIC)
Q79. What are the data migration capabilities of the system?
Move data to the cloud
- Move data from the cloud
- Move data across cloud storage – public or private
- Built-in compression, deduplication, and encryption
- Automation to define process flows across data projects
- Orchestration from provisioning to validation
- Native cloud integrations instead of proprietary gateways
- Automated data archiving based on preset retention schedules
Q80. What data management capabilities are included?
- Manage data across on-premises data centers, public, and private clouds
- GDPR readiness: detection of personal data for proactive data cleanup and data subject requests
Extend on-premises service level agreements (SLA) for policies to cloud
Apply consistent management policies as new data enters the environment
Q81. How does the data management platform support data use?
- Users can discover and recover data across hybrid locations
- Acess data without restoring it; use data directly from the cloud repository
- Single search for data indexing across on-premises and cloud storage
- Quickly create new dev/test environments in the cloud using replicated data
Q82. HOW DOES THE PLATFORM SUPPORT DISASTER RECOVERY?
- Manage disaster recovery across on-premises, public, and private cloud storage
- Automate disaster recovery workflows with tested cloud management policies
- Push-button disaster recovery processes to create cloud storage, data, and policies
- Recover data and applications directly in the cloud or across platforms (physical-virtual-cloud)
- Multiple recovery time objectives (RTO) and recovery point objectives (RPO) for different workloads
Q83. What is Application Data Management?
Commvault’s powerful application data management includes, application data protection and recovery solution.Applications are managed throughout their lifecycle, accelerating the dev/test process for improved business agility, enabling the rapid recovery of production application data and the ability to meet stringent recovery SLAs, and improving application performance with data archiving while reducing your storage footprint, all using a single console that simplifies management.
Q84. How commvault helps throughout the application lifecycle process?
- Reduce data sprawl with policybased automation
- Accelerate the dev/test process with self-service access (no waiting for provisioning or restores)
- Automate data movement to, from, within, and between clouds with automated workflows
- Use snapshots to rapidly recover data and meet stringent RTOs/RPOs
- Improve application performance and reduce production footprint with archiving
- Retire inactive databases, search archived data, and restore to vendor neutral format
Q85. How do you use Workflow to Automate DR?
The Commvault Workflow engine provides a framework in which the DR runbook process, covering the deployment of new instances, recovery of data and applications, and validation aspects of a DR operation can be automated to deliver a simplified, end-to-end GUI-driven DR process.
Q86.What is Native Cloud Connectivity?
The Cloud Connector is the native integration within the Media Agent module that directly communicates with Azure’s Object Storage layer, without requiring translation devices, gateways, hardware appliances or VTLs.
Q87. What does the Native Cloud Connector do?
This Connector works by communicating directly with Object Storage’s REST API interface over HTTPS, allowing for Media Agent deployments on both Virtual and Physical compute layers to perform read/write operations against Cloud Storage targets, reducing the Data Management solution’s TCO.
Q88. Can you describe Scalability in Commvault?
Applications grow over time, and a Data Management solution needs to adapt with the change rate to protect the dataset quickly and efficiently, while maintaining an economy of scale that continues to generate business value out of that system.
Q89. What are De-duplication Building Blocks?
Commvault software maintains a Building Block approach for protecting datasets, regardless of the origin or type of data. These blocks are sized based on the Front-End TB (FET), or the size of data they will ingest, pre-compression/de-duplication. This provides clear scale out and up guidelines for the capabilities and requirements for each Media Agent.De-duplication Building Blocks can also be grouped together in a grid, providing further deduplication scale, load balancing and redundancy across all nodes within the grid.
Q90. What is Client-side De-Duplication?
As is the nature of de-duplication operations, each block must be hashed to determine if it is a duplicate block, or unique and then must be captured. While this is seen as a way to improve the ingest performance of the data mover (Media Agent), it has the secondary effect of reducing the network traffic stemming from each Client communicating through to the data mover.
Q91. Can you describe Crash Consistency vs. Application Consistency?
While Crash-consistency within a recovery point may be sufficient for a file-based dataset or Azure VM, it may not be appropriate for an Application such as Microsoft SQL, where the database instance needs to be quiesced to ensure the database is valid at time of backup. Commvault software supports both Crash and Application consistent backups, providing flexibility in your design.
Q92. Explain about Storage-level Replication vs. Discrete Copies?
Many cloud providers support replication at the Object Storage layer from one region to another, however, in the circumstance that bad or corrupted blocks are replicated to the secondary region, your recovery points are invalid.
Q93. How do you Decide What to Protect in Cloud?
Not all workloads within the Cloud need protection – for example, with microservices architectures, or any architecture that involve worker nodes that write out the valued data to an alternate source, mean that there is no value in protecting the worker nodes. Instead, the protection of the gold images and the output of those nodes provides the best value for the business.
Q94.What is Automation in Commvault?
The cloud encourages automation, not just because the infrastructure is programmable, but the benefits of having repeatable actions reduce operational overheads, bolster resilience through known good configurations and allows for greater levels of scale.
Q95.What is Programmatic Data Management?
Commvault software provides a robust Application Programming Interface that allows for automated control over Deployment, Configuration, Backup and Restore activities within the solution.
Q96.What is Azure Virtual Network?
Azure has the capability to establish an isolated logical network, referred to as an Azure Virtual Network (AVN).Virtual Machines deployed within a AVN by default have no access to Public Internet, and utilize a subnet of the Customer’s choice.Typically AVN’s are used when creating a backbone between Virtual Machines, and also when establishing a dedicated network route from a Customer’s existing on-premise network directly into Azure via Azure ExpressRoute.