40+ REAL-TIME IBM Tivoli Interview Question and Answers
Last updated on 12th Nov 2021, Blog, Interview Questions
Generally, it is difficult for large organizations to keep track of their larger office equipment or other software products. That is where IBM Tivoli comes into the picture and is so widely used in the industry. It is used to monitor decentralized computing systems, applications’ performance, and accessibility. As the use of this software grows, businesses are constantly on the lookout for candidates with IBM Tivoli expertise.
1. What is Serialization?
It defines how Tivoli Storage Manager handles changed types of files during restore processing.
2. What does migration involve? What purpose does it serve?
Client files are transferred from one virtual disk to the next in the storage architecture via migration. Migration creates some vacant space in disc pools that may be used for client machine backups.
3. What are the stages of ITNM discovery?
- The discovery phase is on Standby till the first connection is identified.
- Following the discovery of the first connection, the state changes to the Investigating Network.
- The Processed IP Addresses section rises in size as additional connections are identified.
- file that, the discovery progresses through the following statuses:
- ARP is being downloaded.
- Connections for Downloading
- Connectivity Correlations.
- Once the identification has been made, the status reverts to Idle.
Mainly on the Network Discovery Status page, you can check the status of the discovery. The progress field in the Discovery Phase-field indicates how the discovery is progressing:
4. What are the different connector modes available in TDI?
- Connector for Lookup.
5. How are you going to clean the drive?
Generally, tape libraries will have dedicated cleaning drives; we simply need to mount these using the Library GUI or perform the “clean drive” operation from TSM Server; this will also install the cleaning tape into the disc and begin cleaning.
6. Provide a high-level overview of the TADDM components.
Discovery Manager – A server that runs the TADDM discovery procedures. Administrative Dashboard – It displays information about the server’s status, runtime, and licensing.
7. What are the TADDM’s advantages?
- TADDM gives details regarding the program that is presently executing on the network.
- TADDM assists you in comprehending your organization’s computer infrastructure.
- We learn about which apps and services are installed on the network using TADDM.
- Additionally, TADDM may establish links between software and systems
- TADDM enables us to diagnose network-related issues.
- TADDM enables us to ascertain the compliance issue.
The following are the advantages of TADDM:
8. How do you define collocation? Where are you going to update it?
Collocation is the process of storing client backup data on the fewest possible tapes. Collocation can be accomplished using nodes, node groups, or Filespace. Collocation will be updated when we define or update storage pool definitions.
9. Can you provide a brief description of the CMDB?
- It is a data repository or conceptual data collection that contains all of the details about an organization’s information technology assets. It keeps track of these commodities and their modifications. If handled properly, it can develop into a trustworthy and comprehensive source of information.
- The primary distinction between the CMDB and other data repositories is the establishment of relationships between Application Components.
10. What are the modules use Tivoli Storage Manager’s centralized data protection with no interruption of service.
11. What are the picture library’s two primary catalogs?
- Stored Images.
- Master Images.
12. How does ITNM define domain-specific configuration settings?
- All files ending in .cfg are configuration files.
- All files ending in .agnt are discovery agent files.
- All files ending in .aoc are active object class files.
Although specific files are unlikely to require modification, in reality, any of the following file formats can be made domain-specific in theory:
13. In ITNM, how can we assign a poller for MIB graphing?
If additional pollers have been defined and you wish to assign one to manage MIB graphing, modify the properties folder. Before editing the document, you should have constructed the poller that will be used for MIB graphing.
14. How will you determine whether tape errors occurred?
We may check for devices & read-write problems in “actlog” by using the “q actlog se=errors” command.
15. What are Virtual Machine Ware Agent Maintenance Files?
- REMOTE TEMP
- TEPS Desktop
16. How large is the audit volume?
The audit volume tool is used to verify that there are no discrepancies between database files and the contents of a storage pool volume.
17. Will Lanfree data be written to the disc pool?
No, Lanfree information will be stored on tape/tape pools directly. If we have a disc library in a SAN, we can submit lanfree to discs, but another software is required.
18. What is the purpose of a backup of a storage pool?
If the main pool volumes have any read/write errors, we can recover them from the duplicate pool volumes.
19. What Are The Prerequisites For Deploying ITM VMWare Agent?
VMWare Agent v.6.2.1 requires 200MB of disc space on the client machine.
IBM Tivoli Monitoring V6.2.2 is required to install VMWare Agent.
20. Explain the architecture for a customer?
21. What is TMR?
TMR is an abbreviation for Tivoli Management Region. It is a bundle of resources that are managed centrally by a single server. Each TMR has a distinct clientele. Tivoli does not allow more than one TMR at a time, although one or more TMRs can be interconnected.
22. What Is The Difference Between Yes And Bulk Search In The Label Command?
- YES – Indicates that the server will only identify volumes that are physically saved in the repository.
- BULK – Indicates that the server should scan the library’s entry/exit endpoints for labelable volumes.
23. How many categories do Tivoli fall under?
- IBM Tivoli software is classified into six categories:
- Management of Business Services.
- Management of Security.
- Solution for storage and optimization.
24. What Purpose Does Reclamation Serve?
Reclamation restores usable space on discs that have been fragmented by transferring any surviving files from one drive to another. This operation reclaims the original volume.
25. Is There Any Possibility Of Using Reclamation To Move Dormant Data From One Volume To Another?
No, reclamation will not only relocate active data.
26.What are the main catalogs managed by the image library?
The main catalogs managed by the image library are saved images and master images.
27. List the TSM server tuning parameters?
- txngroupmax – It states the number of files transferred between the commit points.
- bufpoolsize – It represents cache storage, which makes the database pages to store in memory for a long time.
- maxsessions – It states the maximum number of simultaneous client sessions that can connect to the server.
- tcpnodelay – It allows the data packets to send immediately, which are less than MTU (max transmission unit) size.
- tcpwindowsize – It states the amount of receive data that can be in-transit at one time over a TCP/IP connection.
Below are the server tuning parameters.
28. What are the domain-specific configuration files in ITNM?
- Configuration files that end with .cfg.
- Discovery agent files that end with .agnt.
- Active Object Class files that end with .aoc.
- Text-based stitcher files that end with .stch.
29. Explain about the CLOPTSET.?
- Master Your Craft.
- Lifetime LMS & Faculty Access.
- 24/7 online expert support.
- Real-world & Project Based Learning.
Ans: It is used to define the client options set. It is used for adding extra client options for any node from TSM Server. The CLOPTSET options are like a copy, define, delete, update, etc.
30. What is IBM Tivoli Service Level Advisor analyzes performance and availability data from multiple source applications that store their data in the Tivoli Enterprise Data Warehouse database?
31. Explain about TADDM Components.?
- Discovery Manager – It is the server that runs the TADDM discovery processes..
- Administrative Console – The server status, runtime, and license information will be shown..
- Discovery Client – It provides a UI to configure and run discovery processes..
- Domain Manager – It displays all the configuration items and manages users..
- Anchor Servers – These are used to run the discovery in firewall zones..
- Windows Gateway Server – These are used to discover the windows systems..
- Database(CMDB) – The information collected after discovery will get stored here..
32. What is the command to split the ITM agents?
The command to split ITM agents is, tacmd exportBundles -o SPD -t ux -e destination -i source/unix
Learn IBM Tivoli Certification Training Course to Build Your SkillsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
33. Where can we see the errors of tapes?
- We can view the tapes in ‘actlog’ using the below command.
- q actlog se=errors
- To check the read/write errors of a specific volume, use the below command.
34. What Are The Parameters In The Copy Group?
version exist, version deleted, retention extra, retention only, serialization, destination, mode, frequency etc.
35. How To Checking Process Status By Running The Itnm_status Command In Itnm?
- Change to the $NCHOME/precision/bin directory.
- Type the following command: itnm_status.
- This command displays the status of all of the Network Manager components.
- that are installed on the server..
On UNIX operating systems, you can check the status of IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus, the Tivoli Integrated Portal, and Network Manager by using the itnm_status command.
steps :To check the status of all Network Manager components on the current server:
36. Name The Various Other Itm Agents Installed On Unix/linux Servers?
- ux Monitoring Agent for UNIX OS.
- um Universal Agent.
- yn Monitoring Agent for WebSphere.
- ht Monitoring Agent for Web Servers.
- mq WebSphere MQ Monitoring Agent.
- mc WebSphere MQ Configuration Agent.
37. How To Remove A Poller In Itnm?
- If a poller is not being used to monitor the network, you can remove the poller from the monitoring system..
- To remove a poller from the monitoring system, you must delete its record from the NCMonitor Poller table, which removes the record from the Monitor Policy editor. The ncp_poller process attempts to remove the relevant record from the poller table and then exits..
- Complete the following tasks to remove a poller from the monitoring system. .
- From the Network Manager server, issue the following command..
- ncp_poller -deregister -domain [domain_name] -name [poller_name].
- From the Monitor Policy Editor, edit each active policy to use a valid poller..
38. For Fresh Itm Agent Installation, What Agent Version Should Be Used?
- For aix 5.3 – ux_06210000_aix526.
- For linux 2.6 32 bit – lz_062100000_li6263.
For fresh itm agent installation , we need to use below agent version dump as shared with you:
39. What Are The Phases Of Discovery In Itnm?
Now that the discovery has started, can monitor the progress of the discovery on the Network Discovery Status page. Use the status in the Discovery Phase field to determine how the discovery is running: Until the first device is discovered, the discovery phase is Idle/Standby
- After the first device is discovered, the status changes to Discovering Network .
- As further devices are discovered, the count in the Processed IP Addresses field increases..
- The discovery then runs through the following statuses:.
- Downloading ARP (2).
- Downloading Connections (3).
- Correlating Connectivity (-1).
40.Explain the Typical IBM Tivoli Monitoring configuration?
41. Give The Brief Overview Of Cmdb?
- It is a data store or logical collection of data that contains all the information about IT assets..
- It maintains the relationship between these assets, CIs and their changes..
- It can become the reliable and accurate source of information if managed properly..
- The major difference between the CMDB and any other data repository is of making the relationship between the Configuration Items..
42. What Are The Pre Requisites For Itm Vm Ware Agent Deployment?
- Hardware : 200MB of Disk Space is required in the client machine to deploy VM Ware Agent v.6.2.1..
- Software: Software prerequisite to deploy VM Ware Agent is as follows IBM Tivoli Monitoring V6.2.1 IF3 or later.
43. What Are The Benefits Of Taddm?
- TADDM provides the information about the current running application on the network..
- TADDM helps in understanding the computing environment of your organization..
- By TADDM we get to know which applications and services are deployed on the network..
- TADDM can also discover the relationships between applications and services..
- By the help of TADDM we can determine the network related problems..
- By TADDM we can determine the compliance related problem..
44. Give The Brief About Monitoring Of Custom Logs And Kulmapper Utility In Itm?
- Install Unix logs agent on the host machine where you want to monitor the custom logs..
- Get the logs and map the same using Kulmapper utility Using kulmapper utility: Kulmaaper is a binary file that can be used to map the different fields of a log into ITM standard format.
- Kulmapper binary is located in Candlehome/bin directory. By default it uses the sample mapping file kulmapper.samp located in Candlehome/config directory.
- To map a custom log file take a backup of the kulmapper.samp file and enter the format command in the first line and the log file entry in the second line, after that execute the kulmapper binary.
45. Write The Steps To Start Tbsm?
- Stop ngf service.
- update alerts.status set RAD_FilterIDList = ”, RAD_ServiceName=”, RAD_IsIntermediateFunction=0, RAD_FunctionType=”.
- delete from service_deps table in Omnibus.
- start 104 ngf service first and then start.
- 106 ngf service
46. State The Os Requirements To Install Taddm?
- AIX 5.2, Fix Pack 7 or later, or 5.3(current release)..
- Red Hat Linux Advanced Server version 4 or 5(32 or 64 bit)..
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Version 9 or 10(32 or 64 bit)..
- Sun Solaris SPARC version 9 or 10..
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter, Enterprise, or Standard, SP2 or greater (32 or 64 bit)..
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0..
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0..
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for System, version 9.0 patch level 3 or version 10.0.
47. Give The Categorization Of Ibm Tivoli Software Products?
- Business Service Management.
- Security Management.
- Storage and Optimization solution.
48. What Are The Vmware Environment Can Be Monitored By Using Vmware Vi Agent?
- VMware Virtual Center 2.5 or later.
- VMware ESX Server 3.5 or later.
- VMware ESXi Server 3.5 or later.
49. What Are The Vm Ware Agent Support File?
- TEPS Desktop.
50. Show the IBM Tivoli Monitoring environment using Open Services Lifecycle Collaboration for product integration
51. State The Database Requirements To Install Taddm?
- IBM DB2 v9.1, Fix Pack 2.
- AIX(64 bit).
- Solaris SPARC(64 bit).
- Linux on System(64 bit).
- Linux x86 (32 or 64 bit)..
- Windows (32 or 64 bit) operating systems..
52. In Tdpsql What Does Tdpsql.cfg File Contains?
It contains all the tdpsql performance monitoring parameters like Buffers, Buffers size, sql buffers, sql buffer size, data stripes, and log file etc.
53. How To Update Path?
update path sourcename destinationname srctype=server desttype=drive/library device=devicename online=yes
54. How To Check The Paths?
query path f=d
55. How To See The Db Size?
Query db f=d
56. Will The Lanfree Data Go To The Disk Pool?
No, Lanfree data will go directly to tape/tapepools. If we have a disk library in a SAN, then we can send lanfree to disks but we need another supporting softwares.
57. Have You Done Upgradation For Client Machine?
Yes, First we have to copy all the important client configuration files, disconnect the connection with TSM Server and then uninstall/install new client version.
58. Have You Done Upgradation? Which Method You Have Used?
Yes, we used Same System Media Method
59. What Is Migration? Use Of Migration?
Migration is used to move client files from one storage pool to the next storage pool in the storage hierarchy. Migration will make some empty space in disk pools which can be used for taking backup of the client machine.
60.Show the relationship between architectural elements in a sample scheduling network.
61. Is There Any Chance Of Moving Inactive Data From One Volume To Another Using Reclamation?
No, reclamation will move both active and inactive data.
62. What Is The Use Of Reclamation?
Reclamation makes the fragmented space on volumes usable again by moving any remaining files from one volume to another volume. This action makes the original volume available for reuse.
Get JOB Oriented IBM Tivoli Training for Beginners By MNC Experts
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
63. What distinguishes business service management from other types of management?
- Tivoli Business Solutions Administrator.
- Tivoli Service Level Advisor.
- Tivoli Enterprise Portal.
- Tivoli Netview.
The following items are included in Business Service Management:
64. What Are The VMware Environments That Can Be Monitored Through The Use Of The VMware Vi Agent?
- VMware Virtual Center
- VMware ESX Server 3.5 or a later version
- VMware ESXi Server 3.5 or a later version
65. How to Assign Poller for MIB graphing in ITNM?
Ans: If you want to assign a poller to handle MIB graphing, you have to edit the properties file. Open the properties file at the $TIPHOME/profiles/TIPProfile/etc/tnm/tnm.properties location. Scroll down to find the tnm.graph.poller parameter. Change the value of that parameter from DEFAULT_POLLER to the name of the new poller. Save the file and close it.
66. For Itm Agent Upgrade, What Agent Version Should Be Used?
- For itm agent upgrade , we must use below agent version dump as highlighted and shared with you.
- Here we are using ITM agent version 6.2.2 fix pack 4 dump
- For aix 5.3 – ux_06210000_aix526
- aix 6.1 – ux_06210000_aix526
- aix 5.2 – ux_06210000_aix523
- For linux 2.6 32 bit – lz_06210000_li6263
- linux 2.6 64 bit – lz_06210000_li6263
- linux 2.4 32 bit-lz_06210000_li6243
67. What Are The Install Support Files To Teps?
- bash-2.04$ ./installIraAgentTEPS.sh /IBM/ITM Installing k2s.
- Online help for this agent will not be available until the Help Server is restarted, which also requires restarting the TEPS..
68. What Is Audit Volume?
Audit volume command is used to check the inconsistencies between database information and a storage pool volume.
69. How does netcool monitoring work?
Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus is a service level management (SLM) system that delivers real-time, centralized monitoring of complex networks and IT domains. For example, it can be passed to helpdesk systems, logged in databases, replicated on remote systems, and used to trigger automatic responses to certain events.
70.Explain the Interpreting Messages in IBM Netcool?
71. What Is Difference Between Search=sure And Search=bulk In Label Command?
- YES – Specifies that the server labels best volumes which are saved inside the library
- BULK – Specifies that the server searches the library entry/exit ports for usable volumes to label
72. How To Update Path?
Replace course sourcename destinationname srctype=server desttype=pressure/library tool=devicename on-line.
73. How To Check The Paths?
Question route f=d
74.How do I start Tivoli agent in Linux?
- Log in as root.
- Run the itmcmd agent stop command.
- Log in (or ‘su’) to the user ID that you want the agent to run as.
- Run the itmcmd agent start command.
75. Will The Lanfree Data Go To The Disk Pool?
No, Lanfree statistics will move immediately to tape/tapepools. If we’ve a disk library in a SAN, then we are able to send lanfree to disks but we need any other supporting softwares.
76. Have You Done Upgradation For Client Machine?
Yes, First we need to reproduction all of the vital purchaser configuration files, disconnect the reference to TSM Server after which uninstall/installation new patron version.
77. Have You Done Upgradation? Which Method You Have Used?
Yes, we used Same System Media MethodIBM WAS Administration
78. What Is Migration? Use Of Migration?
Migration is used to transport patron documents from one garage pool to the next garage pool inside the garage hierarchy. Migration will make some empty area in disk swimming pools which can be used for taking backup of the client machine.
79. What Is Fix=yes/no In Audit Volume Command?
Fix — Specifies how the server resolves inconsistencies between the database stock and the desired garage pool extent.
Fix=No — Tivoli Storage Manager reports, however does now not delete, database information.
Fix=Yes — The server fixes any inconsistencies as they’re detected
80.What is topology self-discovery policy?
81. What Is Audit Volume?
Audit volume command is used to check the inconsistencies among database statistics and a storage pool quantity.
82. Is There Any Chance Of Moving Inactive Data From One Volume To Another Using Reclamation?
No, reclamation will flow each lively and inactive facts.
83. What Is The Use Of Reclamation?
Reclamation makes the fragmented area on volumes usable once more by using shifting any last files from one volume to some other extent. This movement makes the authentic quantity available for reuse.
84. What is collocation? Where will you update it?
Collocation is the process of keeping the client backed up data in a minimum number of tapes. Collocation can be done by nodes, node groups and by Filespace. We will update collocation while defining or updating storage pool definitions. update stgpool colloc=node
85. Give a brief overview of CMDB?
- It is a data store or logical collection of data that contains all the information about IT assets.
- It maintains the relationship between these assets, CIs and their changes.
- It can become a reliable and accurate source of information if managed properly.
- The major difference between the CMDB and any other data repository is of making the relationship between the Configuration Items.
86.What is Tivoli Netcool Performance Manager?
Tivoli Netcool Performance Manager is a Performance Management system that provides visualization and reporting of network performance data for complex, multivendor, multi-technology networks.
87.What is Netcool integration?
The Integration Agent for Netcool/OMNIbus automatically connects with the Cloud APM server. This connectivity allows events to flow from the server into the network without any inbound network connections. Configure the integration for Netcool/OMNIbus.
88.Is Tivoli Open Source?
It’s fully extensible, designed for developers, and leverages components in the open-source space, to greatly reduce product complexity.
89.What is TWS tool?
Tivoli Workload Scheduler (TWS) is an automation tool capable of executing jobs monitoring events, controlling flow, and managing dependencies on a variety of platforms and across distributed environments. TWS is part of the IBM Tivoli Workload Automation suite.
90.What is Tivoli agent?
Monitoring agents are data collectors. Agents monitor systems, subsystems, or applications, collect data, and pass the data to the Tivoli Enterprise Portal through the monitoring server.
91.Explain the overview of the Tivoli monitoring environment