Selenium Commands : Selenese | Everything You Need to Know [ OverView ]
Last updated on 19th Dec 2021, Blog, General
Selenium automates browsers. That’s it! … What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily it is for automating web applications for testing.
- Introduction To Selenium
- Selenium Commands
- Categorizing the Selenese Commands
- List of commonly used Selenium IDE’s Selenese commands
- Features of Selenium
- Applications of selenium
- Limitations of selenium
- Benefits of Using Selenium
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Selenium Remote Control (RC)
- Selenium Grid
Introduction To Selenium :-
Selenium is a free (open-source) automatic checking out framework used to validate internet packages throughout one-of-a-kind browsers and platforms. You can use more than one programming languages like Java, C#, Python and so on to create Selenium Test Scripts. Testing executed the usage of the Selenium checking out device is typically called Selenium Testing.Selenium Software isn’t always only a unmarried device however a collection of software, every piece catering to one-of-a-kind Selenium QA checking out desires of an organization. Here is the listing of tools:-
Selenium Commands :-
Selenium IDE makes use of distinctive instructions for automating distinctive operations at the Web Applications like commencing an software URL, clicking a button, deciding on a radio alternative etc. The instructions utilized in Selenium IDE for automating the Web Application operations are called Selenese instructions.
- Actions are instructions that usually manage the nation of the utility. They do matters like “click on this link” and “choose that option”. If an Action fails or has an error, the execution of the contemporary check is stopped.
- Many Actions may be known as with the “AndWait” suffix, e.g. “click on and wait”. This suffix tells Selenium that the motion will purpose the browser to make a name to the server and that Selenium must watch for a brand new web page to load.
- Accessors study the nation of the utility and keep the consequences in variables, e.g. “storeTitle”. They also are used to mechanically generate Assertions.
- Assertions are like Accessors, however they affirm that the nation of the utility conforms to what’s expected.
- All Selenium Assertions may be utilized in three modes:
- For example, you can “assertText”, “verifyText” and “waitForText”. When an “assert” fails, the check is aborted. When a “affirm” fails, the check will hold execution, logging the failure.
Categorizing the Selenese Commands :-
Selenium instructions are available three “flavors”: Actions, Accessors, and Assertions:-
- open – Used to open the software URL web page.
- click – Used to click/pick out button, link, radio alternative, checkbox alternative.
- kind – Used to kind textual content into the textual content fields like textual content box, textual content location fields etc.
- refresh – Used to reload the web page.
- highlight – Used to focus on the history colour of the GUI factors concerned in Selenium IDE automation.
- pause – Used to halt the execution for a distinct quantity of time.
- pick out – Used to pick out an alternative from the drop-down field.
- waitForPageToLoad – Used to watch for the web page to load.
- clickAndWait – Used to click/pick out button, link, radio alternative, checkbox alternative. If the pressing motion effects in a web page load, this command will watch for the ensuing web page to load.
- store – Used to create the variables wherein the effects wishes to be stored.
- echo – Used to print the message whilst the Selenium IDE’s is executing the automation tests.
- selectFrame – In order to carry out operations in a body of an internet web page, we want to first pick out the body after which carry out operations on GUI factors in the body. Hence selectFrame selenese command in Selenium IDE is used to pick out a body.
- verifyTitle – Used to confirm the name of the web page. If the name wont in shape with the predicted name, the execution of the automation check will preserve and the check will fail.
- assertTitle – Used to confirm the name of the web page much like verifyTitle, however the execution of the automation check wont preserve in case of name mismatch.
- verifyTextPresent – Used to confirm the textual content at the web page. If the textual content wont in shape with the predicted name, the execution of the automation check will preserve and the check will fail.
- assertTextPresent – Used to confirm the textual content at the web page much like verifyTextPresent, however the execution of the automation check wont preserve in case of textual content mismatch.
- verifyElementPresent – Used to confirm the presence of GUI factors at the web page. If the specified detail isn’t gift, the execution of the atuomation check will preserve and the check will fail.
- assertElementPresent – Used to confirm the presence of GUI factors at the web page much like verifyElementPresent, however the execution at the automation check wont preserve while the specified detail isn’t gift at the web page.
List of commonly used Selenium IDE’s Selenese commands :-
The under are the listing of Selenium IDE’s Selenese commands, that are in general usually used:-
Features of Selenium :-
1. Open Source and Portable – Selenium is an open supply and transportable Web checking out Framework.
2. Combination of device and DSL – Selenium is mixture of equipment and DSL (Domain Specific Language) so that you can perform diverse styles of tests.
3. Easier to recognize and implement – Selenium instructions are categorised in phrases of various instructions which make it simpler to recognize and implement.
4. Reduce take a look at execution time – Selenium helps parallel take a look at execution that lessen the time taken in executing parallel tests.
5. Parallel Test Execution – It additionally helps parallel take a look at execution which reduces time and will increase the performance of tests.
Learn Advanced Selenium Certification Training Course to Build Your SkillsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
- Open Source and Portable – Selenium is an open supply and transportable Web checking out Framework.
- Less burden and pressure for testers – As referred to above, the quantity of time required to do checking out repeated take a look at situations on every and each new construct is decreased to zero, almost. Hence, the load of tester receives decreased.
- Cost discount for the Business Clients – The Business wishes to pay the testers their salary, that is stored the usage of automation checking out tool. The automation now no longer best saves time however receives value advantages too, to the business.
- Increased take a look at coverage – With the makes use of of Selenium, checking out time receives decreased and consequently the tester can do greater checking out on different take a look at situations on the equal time.
- Reduce take a look at execution time – Selenium helps parallel take a look at execution that lessen the time taken in executing parallel tests.
Applications of selenium :-
Selenium WebDriver is used to automate net utility checking out to confirm that it really works as expected. It helps many browsers together with Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. However, the usage of the Selenium WebDriver, we are able to automate checking out for net packages best:-
Limitations of selenium :-
1. No guide for laptop applications – Selenium does now no longer guide checking out for laptop applications.
2. Expertise – Selenium calls for information of your team — and assets to manage.
3. Maintenance and Scalability – Selenium is a maintenance-heavy framework — and is tough to scale as one grows.
4. Open Source Forums – Since Selenium is open supply software, one has to rely upon network boards to get your technical troubles resolved.
5. No guide for REST and SOAP Platforms – We can’t carry out automation assessments on net offerings like SOAP or REST the use of Selenium.
6. No Reporting capability – Selenium does now no longer have any in-built reporting capability, one has to rely upon plug-ins like JUnit and TestNG for check reports.
7. Image Testing – It isn’t viable to carry out checking out on images. One wishes to combine Selenium with Sikuli for photograph checking out.
- Provides you the functionality of routinely recording your take a look at instances primarily based totally upon the interactions with the browser.
- Gives builders more flexibility in executing the take a look at instances. Either the take a look at developer can run the complete take a look at suite along with more than one take a look at instances or execute a unmarried take a look at case.
- Operates on the idea of the wealthy set of Selenese commands, which allows the IDE apprehend what desires to be done.
- Allows the take a look at builders to set breakpoints for the motive of debugging precise take a look at instances.
- Test instances may be re-used the usage of the run command. (e.g. permitting you to re-use the good judgment of login or reload on more than one locations withinside the complete suite)
- Use of more than one-locators for every detail withinside the IDE guarantees a success execution.
Benefits of Using Selenium :-
Selenium IDE is one of the maximum reachable file and play equipment withinside the Selenium Tool Suite, which calls for no unique setup. Selenium IDE has accessories for Firefox and Chrome browsers. Selenium IDE comes with a wealthy set of instructions which can be powered through Selenese and it permits you to file and take a look at distinctive interactions of an internet software with the browser. There also are obstacles that need to be stored in thoughts earlier than deciding on the Selenium IDE.