25+ Oracle Hyperion Interview Questions [ 95% SUCCESS ]
Last updated on 04th Jul 2020, Blog, Interview Questions
These Hyperion Interview Questions have been designed specially to get you acquainted with the nature of questions you may encounter during your interview for the subject of Hyperion. As per my experience good interviewers hardly plan to ask any particular question during your interview, normally questions start with some basic concept of the subject and later they continue based on further discussion and what you answer.we are going to cover top 100 Hyperion Interview questions along with their detailed answers. We will be covering Hyperion scenario based interview questions, Hyperion interview questions for freshers as well as Hyperion interview questions and answers for experienced.
Q1.What are the different types of LOG Files?
So many log files are there in ess base, but the important log files are:
- Application log
Q2.What are attributes?
A classification of a member in a dimension. You can select and group members based on their associated attributes. You can also specify an attribute when you perform calculations and use calculation functions. Eg: The database in Sample Basic which has product dimension has some attributes like size, package type, and flavor. We can add these attributes to the dimensions where we can retrieve the data like for example to retrieve “coke with 8 Oz with bottles”, this is useful for generating reports.
Q3.Why do objects gets locked and when does this happens?
Objects gets locked to prevent users to make simultaneous and conflicting changes to Essbase database objects. By default whenever an object is accessed through Aministrative services console or Excel spreadsheet add-in, it gets locked.
Q4.What is the difference between UDA’s and Attribute dimensions?
Attribute dimensions provides more flexibility than UDA’s. Attribute calculations dimensions which include five members with the default names sum, count, min, max and avg are automatically created for the attribute dimensions and are calculate dynamically.
Q5.How does Attribute dimensions and UDA’s impact batch calculation performance?
- UDA’s: No Impact as they do not perform any inherent calculations.
- Attribute dim: No Impact as they perform only dynamic calculations.
Q6.What are different types of attributes?
Ess base supports two different types of attributes:
- User-Defined attributes
- Simple attributes
- User-Defined attributes: The attributes that are defined by the user.
- Simple attributes: Essbase supports some attributes, they are: Boolean, date, number, and string.
Q7.What are filters?
A method of controlling access to database cells in essbase. A filter is the most detailed level of security, allowing you to define varying access levels different users can have to individual database values.
Q8.What is TB First and TB Last?
- TB First: In the Sample.Basic database, the accounts member Opening Inventory is tagged as TB First. Opening Inventory consolidates the value of the first month in each quarter and uses that value for that month’s parent. For example, the value for Qtr1 is the same as the value for Jan.
- TB Last: In the Sample.Basic database, the accounts member Ending Inventory is tagged as TB Last. Ending Inventory consolidates the value for the last month in each quarter and uses that value for that month’s parent. For example, the value for Qtr1 is the same as the value for Mar.
Q9.How can we display UDA’s in reports? How do they impact report report performance?
UDA’s values are never displayed in the reports and hence do not impact report performance.
Q10.How does Attribute dim impact report performance?
They highly impact the report performance as the attributes are calculated dynamically when referenced in the report. For very large number of att dim displayed in the report, the performance could drastically reduce.
Q11.While loading the data, you have applied both the selection criteria as well as rejection criteria to a same record. What will be the outcome?
The record will be rejected.
Q12.How is data stored in the Essbase database?
Essbase is an file based database where the data is stored in PAG files of 2 GB each and grows sequentially.
Q13.Can we have multiple metaoutlines based on one OLAP model in Integration services?
Q14.What are LRO’s( Linked Reporting Objects)?
They are specific objects like files, cell notes or URL’s associated with specific data cells of Essbase database. You can link multiple objects to a single data cell. These linked objects are stored in the server. These LRO’s can be exported or imported with the database for backup and migration activities.
Q15.What are the three primary build methods for building dimensions?
- Generation references
- Level references
- Parent-Child references
Q16.How does UDA’s impact database size?
There will be no impact on the database as the UDA’s doesn’t store data in the database.
Q18.Can we create UDA’s and apply it to Dense as well as Sparse dimensions?
Q19.Types of Partitions available in Essbase?
Three types of partitions are there.
- Transparent partition: A form of shared partition that provides the ability to access and manipulate remote data transparently as though it is part of your local database. The remote data is retrieved from the data source each time you request it. Any updates made to the data are written back to the data source and become immediately accessible to both local data target users and transparent data source users
- Replicated Partition
- Linked Partition
Q20.What is hybrid analysis?
Lower level members and associated data remains in relational database where as upper level members and associated data resides in Essbase database.
Q21.Why top-down calculation less efficient than a bottom-up calculation?Being less efficient, why do we use them?
In the process it calculates more blocks than is necessary. Sometimes it is necessary to perform top-down calculation to get the correct calculation results.
Q22.On what basis you will decide to invoke a serial or parellel calculation method?
If we have a single processor, we will use serial calculation but if we have multiple processors we can break the task into threads and make them run on different processors.
Q23.What are the specified roles other than Administrator to view sessions, disconnect sessions or kill users requests for a particular application?
You should have the role of Application manager for the specified application.
- Hyperion Essbase Training
Q24.What is block locking system?
Analytic services(or Essbase Services) locks the block and all other blocks which contain the childs of that block while calculating this block is block locking system.
Q25.What are the three options specified in Username and Password management under security tab in Essbase server properties?
- Login attempts allowed before username is disabled.
- Number of inactive days before username is disabled.
- Number of days before user must change password.
Q26.Can we have multiple databases in one single application?
- But only one database per application is recommended.
- Depend on which database that you are going to create.
- For Example: If you are creating ASO then we can’t create more that 1 db per application. If you are creating BSO then you can create more than 1 db per application
Q27.We have created an application as unicode mode. Can we change it later to non-unicode mode?
Q28.Dynamic calc decreases the retreival time and increases batch database calculation time. How true is the statement?
The statement should be just opposite. As dynamic calc members are calculated when requested, the retreival time should increase.
Q29.What is the role of provider services?
To communicate between Essbase and Microsoft office tools.
Q30.A customer wants to run two instances of an Essbase server on a same machine to have both test environment and Development environment on the same server. Can he do that?
Yes. We can have multiple instances of an Essbase server on a single machine and there will be different sets of windows services for all these instances.
Take Your Career to the Next level with Hyperion Training
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
Q31.In a Planning application it is possible to select several currencies per entity member?
Q32.When creating a multi-currency application, which dimensions are automatically created in Essbase?
Q33.When you convert currencies in a webform, converted values are?
Q34.It is possible to select the application’s default currency as a triangulation currency?
Q35.Exchange rates are set up from?
VThe Planning Desktop
Q36.If you change an exchange rate, you must?
Refresh the application selecting the option “Currency Conversion Calc Script” and run the HspCRtb or HspCRtt script
Q37.How many currencies can you select per Entity member?
- The HSP_RATES Dimension includes the following members?
- HSP_Rate_XXX (where XXX is a currency, i.e USD)
Q38.What exchange rate types are available in for the Accounts Dimension?
Q39.What are the 5 options in the Currency Calculation Script section on the Planning Desktop?
- Calc Script Name
- Version Type
Q40.What are the ways to improve performance during data loads?
There are several ways to optimize load:
- Grouping of Sparse member combinations
- Making the data source as small as possible
- Making source fields as small as possible
- Positioning the data in the same order as the outline
- Loading from Essbase Server
- Managing parallel data load processing
Learn Hyperion Certification Course from Real Time ExpertsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
Q41.What are the design considerations for calculation optimization?
You can configure a database to optimize calculation performance. The best configuration for the site depends on the nature and size of the database.
- Block Size(8Kb to 100Kb) and Block Density
- Order of Sparse Dimensions
- Incremental Data Loading
- Database Outlines with Two or More Flat Dimensions
- Formulas and Calculation Scripts
Q42.How do you can prevent and remove fragmentation?
You can prevent and remove fragmentation:
To prevent fragmentation, optimize data loads by sorting load records based upon sparse dimension members. For a comprehensive discussion of optimizing data load by grouping sparse members.
To remove fragmentation, perform an export of the database, delete all data in the database with CLEARDATA, and reload the export file.
To remove fragmentation, force a dense restructure of the database.
Q43.Why is database restructuring?
As your business changes, you change the Essbase database outline to capture new product lines, provide information on new scenarios, reflect new time periods, etc. Some changes to a database outline affect the data storage arrangement, forcing Essbase to restructure the database.
Q44.What are the types of database restructuring?
The two ways by which a database restructure is triggered:
- Implicit Restructures
- Dense restructure
- Sparse restructure
- Outline-only restructure
- Explicit Restructures
Q45.What are the conditions affecting Database restructuring?
Intelligent Calculation, name changes, and formula changes affect database restructuring:
If you use Intelligent Calculation in the database, all restructured blocks are marked as dirty whenever data blocks are restructured. Marking the blocks as dirty forces the next default Intelligent Calculation to be a full calculation.
If you change a name or a formula, Essbase does not mark the affected blocks as dirty. Therefore, you must use a method other than full calculation to recalculate the member or the database.
Q46.What are the files used during Restructuring?
When Essbase restructures both the data blocks and the index, it uses the files described
- essxxxxx.pag Essbase data file
- essxxxxx.ind Essbase index file
- dbname.esm Essbase kernel file that contains control information used for db recovery
- dbname.tct Transaction control table
- dbname.ind Free fragment file for data and index free fragments
- dbname.otl Outline file in which is defined all metadata for a database and how data is stored
Q47.Which restructure operations are faster?
These types of restructure operations are listed from fastest to slowest:
- Outline only (no index or data files)
- Sparse (only index files)
- Dense (index files and data files) as a result of adding, deleting, or moving members and other operations
- Dense (index and data files) as a result of changing a dense dimension to sparse or changing a sparse dimension to dense
Q48.What is Implicit Restructures?
Essbase initiates an implicit restructure of the database files after an outline is changed using Outline Editor or Dimension Build. The type of restructure that is performed depends on the type of changes made to the outline
Q49.What is Explicit Restructures?
When you manually initiate a database restructure, you perform an explicit restructure. An explicit restructure forces a full restructure of the database. A full restructure comprises a dense restructure plus removal of empty blocks.
Q50.What is Dense restructure?
If a member of a dense dimension is moved, deleted, or added, Essbase restructures the blocks in the data files and creates new data files. When Essbase restructures the data blocks, it regenerates the index automatically so that index entries point to the new data blocks.
Empty blocks are not removed. Essbase marks all restructured blocks as dirty, so after a dense restructure you need to recalculate the database.
Q51.What is Sparse restructure?
If a member of a sparse dimension is moved, deleted, or added, Essbase restructures the index and creates new index files.Restructuring the index is relatively fast; the amount of time required depends on the size of the index.
Q52.Suppose we have assigned Generation 2 and Generation 4 as of now and think of adding generation 3 later some time. Can we build the dimension.
No. If gen 2 and gen 4 exists, we must assign gen 3.
Q53.What is Hyperion Financial Management ?
Oracle Hyperion Financial Management is a comprehensive, Web-based application that delivers global financial consolidation, reporting and analysis in a single, highly scalable software solution. Oracle Hyperion Financial Management utilizes today’s most advanced technology, yet is built to be owned and maintained by the enterprise’s finance team.
Q54.What are the benefits of the Hyperion Financial Management ?
- Accelerate reporting cycles: Reduce closing cycles by days, deliver more timely results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Improve transparency and compliance: Helps reduce the cost of compliance (as stipulated by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, electronic filing, and other regulatory requirements) and support disclosure requirements, such as sustainability reporting
- Perform strategic analysis: Spend less time on processing and more time on value-added analysis
- Deliver a single truth: Provide a single version of the truth to support financial management and statutory reporting
- Easily integrate: Integrate not only with Hyperion products but also with your existing infrastructure
Q55.Can we have multiple databases in single application ?
Yes, in this one database per application.
Q56.Can we start and stop an application individually and how to increase performance using this ?
We can manage our server resources by starting only applications which receive heavy user traffic. When an application is started, memory is accompanied by all associated data bases.