Best 45+ Pega Interview Question & Answer by [CERTIFIED EXPERT]
Last updated on 27th May 2020, Blog, Interview Questions
PEGA is a Business Process Management tool (BPM). It is developed on Java and uses OOP and java concepts. The main use of PEGA technology is to reduce cost and is used in improving business purposes. Pega allows organizations to deploy changes eight times faster than Java based applications.
1. What is the difference between Page-Validate and Property-Validate methods?
Page-Validate: Method is used to validate all the properties present on a page. If a page has embedded pages, this method works recursively to validate all the properties. This method consumes a lot of system resources and takes more time. If you want to validate specific properties use Obj-Validate method with Rule-Obj-Validate rule.
Property-Validate: Method is used to impose restrictions on a property value. Use the Edit validate rule along with Property-Validate method to impose restrictions. You can validate multiple properties using the Property-Validate method.
2. What is the difference between Edit validate and Edit Input rules?
Edit Validate: Use edit validate rule to validate the property value using java code. Edit validate rules can be used property-validate, Rule-Obj-Validate and Property rules.
Edit Input: Edit input rules converts user entered data into required format. For example if the user enters date MM/DD/YYYY format, edit input rule converts this date into DD-MMM-YYYY (required format). Again we need to write java code for this transformation.
3. Where assignments will be stored in the pega rules database?
Work List related assignments are stored in pc_assign work list. Work basket related assignments are stored in pc_assign_workbasket.
4. Where work objects will be stored?
Work Objects are stored in pc_work table by default. however if you want to store the work objects in a user created table, follow the below mentioned steps. Create a schema similar to pc_work table. (The best thing is to copy the pc_work schema and modify the table name and constraints name if any). Change the class group mapping (Data-Admin-DB-Table) to the newly created table.
5. If I have 3 different work objects in my application, how to store them in three different tables?
Open/Create the Data-Admin-DB-Table instance for each class and mention the table name. By doing this the individual work objects will be stored in the new table you mentioned in the Data-Admin-DB-Table instance. This is a best practice if there are too many object instances for each class.
6. What are StepStatusGood, StepStatusFail rules?
- Step Status Good is a when condition defined in base class, this when rule checks whether the value of pxMethodStatus property is “Good”.
- Step Status Fail is a when condition defined in base class, this when rule checks whether the value of pxMethodStatus property is “Fail”.
7. How to make any rule as a favorite to your manager?
Delegate the rule to the manager.
8. Where can i see the parameter values in the clipboard ( values ..) I am passing one activity to another ?
No it’s not possible in clipboard, but you can see in tracer by clicking the page name in step method column.
9. How to import rules using pzinskey?
Open the rule, from that pick the pzinskey, go to pr dbutil and using the pzinskey export the rule Import that zip file where you want.
10. Difference between activity and utility?
An activity is an instance of the Rule-Obj-Activity rule type. An activity is the fundamental sequential processing unit of the Process Commander system. The shape in a Vision flow diagram, references an activity that updates a work object, but does not require user interaction and input. Your system includes standard activities for utility tasks, and you can create additional ones.Each utility task references an activity with an Activity Type of Utility ss from utility shape we can call activity but vise versa not possible.
11. Difference between obj-open and obj-open-by-handled.
- Obj-Open : we will get multiple records from the table based on the criteria from the specified class. Or Opens an instance of a given class
- OBJ-open-handle: here we have to pass the pzInskey as an instance handle, this method will open only one record at time. Or Open object by handle to the pzInsKey value
The handle of an instance is a unique key, in an internal format, assembled by the system that identifies an instance in the PegaRULES database. It may differ from the visible key generally used to identify instances. (Every instance has a unique handle, but more than one instance may share the same visible key.) For rule instances, the handle includes system-generated identifying values (including the create date and time) that make it unique. Use the Obj-Open-By-Handle method only if you can determine the unique handle that permanently identifies which instance to open. Otherwise, use the Obj-Open method.
12. Inheritance concept in the pega (rules, class).
Rules: inheritance that can maximize reuse of your rules while allowing localized overriding as appropriate. Also called polymorphic, inheritance allows a rule created for one class (possibly an abstract class) to be applied to other classes that inherit from it.
Class: inheritance searches for rules from a concrete, lower class, up the class hierarchy to find available rules.
Two types of class inheritance: directed inheritance and pattern inheritances
13. What is a Work Group? What is the primary function of a Work Group from a business perspective?
A work group is a logical collection of operators having a common supervisor i,e. a work group can identify a user who is a supervisor and a set of workers and work baskets that report to that supervisor.
Use: For the supervisor of a work group, the My Group area of the Process Workspace provides quick access to the work lists and workbaskets associated with the group (In the workbasket tab of workbasket data instances we enter the name of a work group that uses the workbasket. This field determines which workbaskets appear in the View Queue list on the My Group area of the Process Work workspace for managers). Also, work groups facilitate better monitoring and reporting of tasks on the Monitor Activity workspace.
14. What is skimming explained?
It collects the highest version of every rule in the rule set and copies them into the new major version of that rule set on the same system.
EX: If we are skimming loan appl:05-06-07, the only options like 06-01-01 and 07-01-01, but we can not skim to 05-07-08 and so on.
15. What are different methods used in activities?
- Page: New, Page-Remove, Obj-open,Obj-List, Obj-Save.
- RDB: Save,RDB-List,RDB-Delete etc..
16. Different types of classes that PRPC support?
We have different types of Standard Classes will be available which are,
- Base class is Ultimate base class, And Its Child Classes are work-, Data-, Rule-, Assign-, History-, etc. Pega always Support 2 types of class which are Abstract Classes And Concrete Classes
- Abstract Classes are ends with ‘-‘ and abstract Classes cannot create any work object instances
- Concrete Classes will Does not ends with -, And Abstract Classes will create Work Object instances
17. Explain about Work Object?
A work object is the primary unit of work completion in an application, and the primary collection of data that a flow operates on. As an application is used, work objects are created, updated, and eventually closed (resolved). Every work object has a unique ID (property pyID), an urgency value, and a status (property pyStatusWork).
18. Explain about Work Object ID?
A work object ID is the permanent, external identifier of a work object. If we don’t specify a prefix (on the Details tab of the application rule), the Work-.GenerateID activity uses W- as the prefix and no suffix. The Work-Cover-.GenerateID activity uses C- as the default prefix. Conventionally, the F- prefix is used to identify folder work objects.
19. Where do we determine the prefix and suffix of the Work Object ID?
The prefix and suffix are determined by a model rule Default for the work type or the class corresponding to the class group. The model is referenced on the Process tab of the flow rule that creates the work object.
20. How to call one activity from another activity?
They are two types:
- Call: If we call one activity to another activity by using call, it will execute the called activity and return back to the calling activity then execute the remaining steps in a calling activity.
- Branch: If we call one activity to another activity by using Branch, it will execute the called activity and calling activity then it will not execute the remaining steps after branch.
21. How do you associate an operator with a workbasket?
Each operator may have a list of workbaskets that they can view. Normally users can fetch assignments directly from any workbasket defined for their own organizational unit. However, if the roles are specified in the roles array on the workbasket tab of the workbasket data instance, the operator must possess at least one access role that matches an access role in the Roles array.
22. Difference between file listener and connect file?
- File listener used to import data from a file.
- Connect file defines the name and location of an output file created by your application.
23. What is local action?
When action is finished, the work object returns to the same assignment.
24. What is SLA’s, how are they different from Agents?
A service level rule is an instance of the Rule-Obj-Service Level type. The service level can define a goal and a deadline times for processing an assignment and can execute activities if the goal or the deadline is not met. This assignment-level service level is distinct from any service level associated with the entire flow.
At runtime, an internal countdown clock (measuring the completion of the assignment against the goal and deadline times computed from the service level rule) starts when the the assignment task is created.
An agent is a background internal requester operating on the server. These requester can periodically monitor conditions and perform processing as necessary. Most agents are defined by an Agent Queue rule (Rule-Agent-Queue), which includes a list of the activities they perform.
25. What is a WSDL file?
It is web services description language.it is written in XML format.
26. Difference between Decision Table and Decision Tree:
- The logic Implemented in Decision Table is if, else if condition.
- In the Decision Table, if the first condition is true, it will not check the remaining conditions/if the first condition is false , then only it will check the next condition.
- For simple logic, we can go to the Decision table.
- The logic implemented in Decision Tree is if, if condition.
- In a Decision Tree, if the first condition is true or false, it will check all conditions and it will return results.
- For simple logics, we can go for Decision Tree.
27. What Is The Difference Between Listview And Summaryview ?
- A summary view rule defines a two-level report display, presenting summary counts, totals or averages to be displayed initially, and allowing users to click a row to drill down to supporting detail for that row.
- Summary view rules support interactive charts, trend reports, and the use of AJAX for pop-up Smart Info windows.
- A summary view rule is an instance of the Rule-Obj-SummaryView rule type. This rule type is part of the Reports category.
- A list view rule, an instance of the Rule-Obj-ListView rule type, defines a report. Users can personalize list view reports easily and interact with them.
- Use the Report wizard to define list view reports and link them to our portal.
28. What Is Paging In A Listview?
To divide the ListView into different pages and set the number of records to be displayed in a page.
29. Can we refer to the property without exposing it in Reports?
We can refer to the properties in the Display tab without exposing. But we can’t refer to the property without exposing it in Criteria fields of the Content tab.
30. What is the class of getContent Activity?
31. What is the activity responsible for getting the data in List View?
32. How to customize the getContent Activity?
Step1: Create Activity in Our Class and create the New page
Step2: Write a query and store it in a variable.
Step3: Call the listview as Call Rule-Obj-ListView
Step4: Write the another activity in Embed-ListParams
Step5: Create the parameter. This parameter get the sql query from previous activity
Step6: Write Java method The java code in this method is
Get the page from the Content Page if page already exists. If page is not available it creates the new Content Page. In this code get the sql query from the above parameter and pass this query and above created Content Page as parameters to this tools.getDatabase().executeRDB(query, pagename) method.
33. What are SLAs used for? How do you configure an SLA?
SLAs are rules in PRPC that indicate the expected or targeted turnaround time for the assignment, or time-to-resolve for the work object. Each service level rule defines one to three-time intervals, known as goals, deadlines, and late intervals. Late intervals are repeated.
Service level rules can be associated with assignments in a flow and with the entire flow. For example, we can set a goal of 2 hours to process an assignment and a deadline of 4 hours. (The time interval starts when the assignment is created, not when a user begins processing the assignment.)
For assignments, the service level rule is referenced in the Assignment Properties panel of the assigned task. For the overall work object, the service level rule is identified in the standard property .pySLAName, typically set up through a model for the class. (The default value is the Default service level.) The Pega-ProCom agent detects service levels not achieved — unmet goals or deadlines — promptly. If an assignment is not completed before the time limit, the system can automatically notify one or more parties, escalate the assignment, cancel the entire flow, and so on.
34. What do you mean by Case Management in PEGA? When do you use folders?
Case Management involves managing work that, for processing and reporting purposes, differs from classic BPM work objects. Cases may involve:
- Less rigid structure.
- More flexibility in the order of tasks or which tasks are needed.
- Interrelationships with other work.
- Process Commander facilities supporting sophisticated case management include covers, folders, and case type rules.
- Case Management design is governed by the Case Type Definitions gadget, which is used to configure the following case type and work processing configurations. Using the gadget, you can:
- Construct covering relationships and build new case types using a standard tree gadget.
- Add entirely new case types: Creates Class and Case Type rules, provides standard starting flows for the new case type.
- Reuse existing case and work types.
35. What do you mean by exposing a property? Did you use any SQL tools or does Pega provide some means to expose columns?
A Single Value property that is visible as a column in a database table is said to be exposed. Only exposed properties can be used for the record selection operations in list view and summary view rules.
In PEGA we can use the ‘Modify Database Schema’ wizard to expose properties. Also, the database administrator can cause a property previously stored only inside the Storage Stream column to become a separate exposed column using SQL tools such as TOAD. Aggregate properties, properties within an embedded page, and properties that are not exposed are contained in a specially formatted Storage Stream or BLOB column. Most Pega Rules database tables contain a Storage Stream column named pzPVStream.
Exposing too many properties in a table may speed reporting and searching operations, but make the insert and update operations slower. The trade off and relative impact depend on hardware and software and no general guidelines exist.
36. How to connect with external database:
- Whenever we want to connect with an external database, first we need to create the database.
- Whenever we create the database, we need to provide the JDBC url name, username and password.
- Once we created the database, we needed to create the database class. In a database class , we need to create the required properties.
- After creation of the database class, we need to create the database table. At the time of creating the database table, we need to provide the database name, database table name and schema name.
- We need to create the connect sql. In a connect sql rule , if we want to fetch multiple records then we need to write the query in the browse tab.
- If we want to fetch a single record then we need to write a query in the open tab.
- If we want to save the data into the database then we need to write the query in the save tab.
- Create the activities by using RDB-Methods.
37. What is Pega?
A business process management (BPM) software, PEGA is developed using Java. It eliminates the need to code software, besides automating manual work.
38. What is a harness in Pega?
Harnesses in Pega is used to define the look and processing of user forms in any application that is necessary for the creation of work items and the processing of assignments.
39. How to create a work object in Pega?
The steps to create work objects in Pega are:
- Add a button such as a section or a header.
- Expand the cell property within the button and click on the action tab.
- To the button, add an action set.
- Add focus class as well as flow name to the button.
- Catch the present work object ID with “Param.pre Record key”.
- Using “Obj-Open-By-Handle”, open the case
- Using Page-Copy, copy the data from pagers.
40. What is case management in Pega?
Case Management in Pega allows an organization to quickly model and take care of multifarious case logic, without writing any programming codes.
41. What is PRPC in Pega?
PRPC or PegaRULES Process Commander is a core component of the Pega software product created by Pegasystems Inc (PEGA).
42. What is an assignment in Pega?
An assignment in Pega is a break in the flow and it denotes the need for an external system or a person to act on a work object so that the flow can resume.
43. What is the ruleset in Pega?
A RuleSet in Pega is a collection of rules of business that defines an instance. The ruleset is an essential subset of PegaRULES that is necessary to reference instances in the database.
44. What is parallel processing in Pega?
Parallel processing has various levels in Pega. The system-level allows every user to operate such as a process on one or multiple nodes in Java Virtual Machine. At the business process level, the Split-Join, Spinoff, and Split For Each shape ensure parallel processing. In a single user session, the external systems connections work are parallel to each other.
45. Describe the Access group in Pega?
An access group in Pega is an example of a Data-Admin-Operator-Access Group class that creates a set of RuleSet for the requestors. The developer defines access groups and assigns them to different users.
46. What is the Access Group and Access roles and difference between them?
Access groups make a set of RuleSet versions available to requestors.
Use an access role name to convey permissions (capabilities) to a user or a group of users. Access roles can be referenced in requestor instances, Operator ID instances, in access group instances, in activities, and in queries.
47. What is Covers folder and object and differences among them?
Cover is a work object that is parent to one or more related work objects. One work party is present in the cover work object and also present in the covered work objects associated with the covers. Folder is a work object in a concrete class that inherits from the work-Folder-class. A folder object holds a collection of one or more other work objects providing access for reporting.
48. What is SLA? Where do we use SLA?
A service level rule is an instance of the Rule-Obj-Service Level rule type. Each service level rule defines one or two time intervals, known as goals and deadlines that indicate the expected or targeted time for the assignment, or time-to-resolve for the work object.
If an assignment isn’t completed before the time limit, the system can automatically raise the assignment, and cancel the entire flow, and so on
49. How many requestor types are there and what are they?
Application, Batch, Browser, Portal.
50. What is SLA in Pega?
Service Level Agreement rules or SLA in Pega is an important feature that defines the intervals of time between deadlines and goals, in order to set a standard to resolve work in the application.
Get Accredited Pega Certification Course By Experts Training
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
51. What is circumstance?
Circumstance is the optional condition and enhancement of rule resolution alg. diff variations of the rules within the same version created for diff flavors suit different situations. circumstance works during the rule resolution, at run time the system first finds the rules based on class hierarchy then searches for rules the requestors session needs, it compares the values of rule set, version, availability to determine which rule executed.
52. What is a call, branch?
- Call Activity: The call activity instructs the current activity to find and run another activity using rule resolution.After the called activity completes the calling activity processing.the called activity can use its parameter page. The main advantage of call activity is reuse.
- Branch Activity: It is similar to the call method. Branch activity refers to another activity. the execution of the original activity ends the execution of the branched activity completed without return..
53. What is an Access Group?
Access Group controls the security basing on the job functions. It is an instance of Data-Admin-Operator-Access Group. Various aspects that can be controlled through access group are default and available types of works( also called as work pools ) , Primary rulesets ( Access Control to rulesets), Assigned roles, Portal layout
54. What is Work list, Work basket?
Work list is an outstanding assignment waiting for a user to perform them. A work basket is an instance of Data-Admin-Workbasket class. Work objects progress through a flow execution, the system creates assignments. Assignment may be created either with an individual user or work basket.
55. What is an Agent?
Agents are an internal background process operating on the server to run an activity. Agents are asynchronous and independent. They also perform system tasks such as sending email notifications and synchronizing caches across nodes. Activities they call run individually on their own scheduled and one activity doesn’t have to finish another activity.
56. How to integrate with SOAP (or) how to create a connected SOAP?
Service pkg, service soap, activity.
57. What is the difference between RDB,OBJ methods?
Obj method can be used to fetch the data from Blob columns but RDB methods can only help to fetch the data from exposed columns. RDB methods are faster than OBJ methods in terms of response time normally we use OBJ methods for pega tables and RDB methods to fetch the data from external database
58. What is the exact difference between step page and page new(both will create the pages)?
Step page defines the page context on which a method is going to be executed. step page does not creates a page..while page-new is used to create page
59. What is exactly obj-browse and obj-list(why it is deprecated)
Obj-browse allows you to filter the data instead of fetching all the data…thus lesser memory consumption…Deprecated means…pega does not recommends using it..but to support previous version application they have kept it
60.How to move code from development server to test server?
Create a new instance for the product category, in that category we have to provide rule sets and rule set versions, create zip files and move to the test server.
61. What is flow-action?
It is the instance of Rule-Obj-Flow Action rule type. it is the one category in UI specifying the choices to user performing assigned work objects.
- Local FA: If action is finished, the work object returns to the same level.
- Connector FA: If action is finished, the work object moves to the next level.
62. What is the use of a Primary page?
The primary page is nothing but a clipboard page. Primary page is nothing but a step page in activity. it refers in . to display the property..
63. Why do you need a class group?
We need to add one or more class groups to create the work pools in which users are associated in the access group to create the work objects.
64. What is SLA and how do you know whether it is working or not?
It is the instance of Rule-Obj-Servicelevel rule type.it can be added to assignment or work object.each SL defines one or more time intervals like Goal and dead line that indicates expected or targeted time for the assignment and time to resolve for work object. Within the clipboard we have to find out whether the pyGoalproperty and pyDeadlinepropety properties are empty then SL not working.
65.Differentiate constraint vs validation.?
Constraint is a declarative rule which gets called automatically whenever invalid value entered by the user and shows the error message according to ur logic, unlike constraint validation is not a declarative rule and u need to call it from say flow actions/activity etc…it’s also used for validation.
66. What is the use of guardrails?
Guardrails guide you, how to code any application in the best way using pega.
67. What are the agents?
Agents are an internal background process operating on the server to run an activity. These are asynchronous and independent.
These are 2 type rule agent queue, data-agent-queue
68. What is cover and covered objects?
Cover is Work Object that is parent to one or more work objects. The covered WO are Children in Parent-Child relationship.one work party is present in the cover work object that is also present in the covered WO associated with the covers.
69. Have you used spin-off shapes in your application, if so what is the case?
The work object processing in the current flow in parallel without waiting in the other flow to continue.
70. What are the types of log files we have?
- Pega logs: these are also called as system logs. a message was created since the server starts recently.
- Alert log: it contains only alerts and supports performance related monitoring.
71. Tell me about the locking concept in PRPC?
Lock should be held on the work object in order to save/update/delete the content in the db.
72.What is DWA (Direct Web Access)?
DWA is any one access the World wide web and email to process an assignment on a one time basis.this feature extends the scope you apply to empleos throughout the enterprise.
73. What is the Declare expression?
It helps the automatic calculations of the property value based on the changes of the other property value.
74. What is the order of execution in the Decision Table and decision tree?
- D tree used the order of if-then-else logic.
- D table used to make decisions against the same data element.
75. Rule resolution algorithm?
It is a mechanism to decide which rule needs to be executed.
Get Certification Oriented PEGA CourseWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
76. Explain about DCO?
Direct Capture Object is an apple dev tools which includes, Application profiler wizard, Appl Accelerator, Appl Doc Wizard, Appl use cases, Appl requirements.
77. How do you remove the work objects?
By using obj-delete method we can delete work objects.
78. Do you have any idea about the AES?
Autonomic Event Services is a process commander application that monitors, retrieves and organizes the alert data from one or more clustered process commander system throughout the enterprise. AES provides the charts, reports information about the events.
79. What is the major difference between the Cover and Folder
Cover is a work object that is parent to one or more related work objects. Folder is a concrete class that is inherited from work-folder- class. Folder holds the collection of one or more other work objects.
80. What is a work-pool in Pega?
A working pool in Pega is a collection of the work objects, both open and resolved, as well as the work- classes that a user is able to enter in an application, determined by the system from a list of class groups.
81. What is the need of exposing a property?
Need to add a property to one of the columns in DB.
82. What is the difference between harness & section?
- Harness: Use Harness rule to define appearance and processing of wok object forms used in ur app to create WO and process Assignments. Harness rule defines the complete forms that support all user interactions that create, update and resolve the WO.
- Section: A section rule defines the appearance and contents of the form.
83. What are SLA’s & what are the types of SLA’s. where we can put these?
It is the instance of Rule-Obj-Service Level Rule type. It can be added to Assignment and work objects.
Service level contains 2 time intervals Goal and Deadline. it indicates the expected time for the assignment and time to resolve the WO.
84. Which inheritance is mandatory? direct Or pattern?
Both are mandatory depending on the requirement we will use both. we will give first preference to Directed. It should not be left blank.
85. What are Rule-Declare pages?
It is the instance of Rule-Declare-Pages rule type. it is used to define the content of the clipboard page that is available in reading the only mode for multiple requester in your application. the name of the declared page starts with declare.
86. What is rule resolution?
It is a mechanism to decide which rule needs to be executed at run time.
87. Explain About Property-set-message?
The property-set-message method is used to associate a text message with a property or a step page. The system reads the appropriate property and adds the message to the page. We can provide the entire literal text of the message, or reference a message rule key that in turn contains message text. (Rule-Message rule type).
88. What are Work Parties? How do you send correspondence to work for parties?
Work party is a person, organization, or other actor identified in a work object, who can be the recipient of the email or other forms of correspondence. A work object may identify no work parties, one, or many work parties. The work party role associated with each work party identifies why a party is present and may determine which properties are defined for that party.
A Notify activity, when referenced in a flow, sends out correspondence, such as an email message, when a flow execution creates an assignment. Typically, the system addresses correspondence to a work party identified in the work object and reports progress to that party.
89. What is the Difference between screen flow and process flow?
Screen flow is for UI improvement..while process flow is for business logic execution..so both have difference purposes. In screen flow we can’t create a WO, in process flow we can create a WO. in Screen flow we have next, previous options are available in process flow not available.
90. How to trace SLA in Pega?
The steps to trace SLA in Pega are:
- Terminate the agent.
- Delay it.
- Initiate the agent.
- Delay it again.
- In the requestors, select the delayed requestor and click on the tracer.
- Send this case to a particular assignment containing the SLA within 60 seconds.
91. How To Expose Aggregate Property?
Declare Index rule is a better approach:
- Create a concrete class derived from the Index- base class.
- Create Single Value properties in the new class to hold values of the embedded values.
- Create a Declare Index rule with the appropriate embedded Page Context value that copies the embedded values into a new Index- instance.
- Save the Declare Index rule. It executes immediately, adding and deleting instances of the new class.
- Expose database columns corresponding to the Index- class.
- Reference the Index- properties in the list view rule.
92. Explain About The Page-copy Method?
The page-copy method is used to copy the contents of a source clipboard page to a new or previously created destination clipboard page. The source page is not altered. After this method completes, the destination page contains properties copied from the source page and can contain additional properties from a model.