Top 25+ HRMS Interview Questions & Answers [ ORACLE TRICKS ]
Last updated on 04th Jul 2020, Blog, Interview Questions
These Oracle HRMSInterview Questions have been designed specially to get you acquainted with the nature of questions you may encounter during your interview for the subject of Oracle HRMS. As per my experience good interviewers hardly plan to ask any particular question during your interview, normally questions start with some basic concept of the subject and later they continue based on further discussion and what you answer.we are going to cover top 100 Oracle HRMS Interview questions along with their detailed answers. We will be covering Oracle HRMS scenario based interview questions, Oracle HRMS interview questions for freshers as well as Oracle HRMS interview questions and answers for experienced.
Q1.How to use an API to upload the data?
- API package contains many procedures to insert/update/delete the application data.
- The API is not executed on its own, the API must be called or executed by other pl/sql program.
- The API package should never be modified for custom use, if modified Oracle will not be able to support them.
Q2.How to identify the Package name and version of the API?
SELECT text FROM all_source WHERE name like â€˜HR_EMPLOYEE_API%â€™ AND text LIKE â€˜%Header%â€™;
Q3.Where can you find information on an API and its parameters?
Review the package header file for the particular API file (.pkh).
Q4.What is Object version number and how do you assign values for it in an API?
- Object Version number is an assigned number to a row in a database table.
- When a new row inserted its number is set to 1
- If any updates performed on the row then the Object version number is incremented.
- Every API has the p_object_version_number control parameters.
- For create APIs this parameter is defined as an OUT parameter the API assigns the Object version number to be 1 for row inserts.
- For update APIs the parameter is defined as IN OUT, for update API the object version number is mandatory.
Q5.When the HR_7155_OBJECT_LOCKED raised?
The current value of object_version_number must be passed in the API call and it is compared to the version on the row in the table.
If the versions are different then the HR_7155_OBJECT_LOCKED is raised.
Q6.What is the p_validate control parameter?
Every API has a “p_validate control“ parameter.
When the parameter is set to FALSE then all the business function validation is performed.
If every thing is validated then row can be Inserted/Updated/Deleted.
If p_validate is set to TRUE then only the actual operation is validated.
A savepoint is issued at the start of the call and a rollback is done at the end of the call.
Q7.Can you use an API on an application table on which an event-based alert is defined?
No, if an event-based alert defined on an application table then the API will give error.To run API the alert has to be disabled and re-enabled after the API has been executed.
Q8.What are the types of Element Entry?
There types are as follows:
- Normal Entry
- Override Entry
- Additional Entry
- Adjustment Entry
- Additive Adjustment
- Replacement Adjustment
- Balance Adjustment
Q9.What are the Important Tables in HRMS?
- per_all_people_f: This table will provide us the very basic information about the employee. The very data from the first screen we see when we open the “People -> Enter and Maintain” form goes into this table.
- per_all_assignments_f: This table will store all the information which is been entered in the employee assignment form.
- per_addresses: This table will store all the information which is been entered in the employee address form.
- per_pay_proposals: This table will store all the information which is been entered in the employee salary form.
- per_person_types_tl: This table is used to find the type of the employee. This table is linked with the per_all_people_f with the person_type_id to find out the type of person.,
- per_jobs_tl: This table will contain the various types of JOBS in oracle. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct job name from the employee.
- per_grades_tl: This table will contain the various types of GRADES in oracle. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct grade name from the employee.
- hr_locations_all: This table will contain the various LOCATIONS in oracle. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct location name from the employee.
- pay_all_payrolls_f: This table will contain the various types of PAYROLLS in oracle. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct payroll name from the employee.
- per_pay_bases: This table will contain the various types of PAY BASES in oracle. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct pay basis name from the employee.
- per_assignment_status_types_tl: This table will contain the various types of assignment types in oracle. The assignment types generally would be “Active Assignment” etc. This table is been linked with the per_all_assignments_f table to retrieve the correct job name from the employee.
- per_person_type_usages_f: This table will store the correct person type of the particluar employee. We should never depend on the person type present in the per_all_people_f table. Instead, we need to link the person_id with this table and get the correct person type.
Q10.What are Date Track Tables?
Every update in the Table, we will save the change in the form of a Record to provide the facility to find the information at any point of time.
These tables are post fixed by _F
Q11.What are the minimum classifications to create a Business Group?
- Business Group
- GRE/Legal Entity
- HR Organization
Q12.What are the Pre-Requisites for creating a Business Group?
(i) Value Sets
(ii) Key Flexfields
Q13.What is the use of HR Organization?
If we want to assign the employee information to a Business Group then we need to have HR Organization classification under a Business Group.
Q14.What is People Group?
(i) It is a Flexible area for holding user-defined assignment data.
(ii) Data can be used for Grouping sets of assignment together.
(iii) People group can be used for Element eligibility.
(iv) This information is used by the Payroll Run.
(v) The data will be held in PAY_PEOPLE_GROUPS.
(vi) GROUP_NAME field holds the concatenation of Segment data.
Q15.What is the KFF structure for SIT?
Personal Analysis Flexfields.
Q16.What is the DFF structure for EIT?
(i) Extra Person Information
(ii) Assignment Extra Information
(iii) Extra Location Information
(iv) Extra Position Information
(v) Extra Job Information
(vi) Organization Developer DF
Q17.How to enable EIT?
Switch Responsibility to ‘Human Resources, Vision Enterprises’
Double click on ‘Security’
Click on ‘Information Types’
Create your own ‘Information Types’ under your ‘Responsibility Name’.
Q18.How to enable SIT?
Switch Responsibility to ‘Human Resources, Vision Enterprises’
Double click on ‘Other Definitions’
Click on ‘Special Information Types’
Q19.What is the use of Date Track?
1) It is used to maintain the record history by creating a new record when the date track mode is UPDATE and override on the existing record when the Data track mode is CORRECTION.
2) The value of the Data Track record depends on the date.
3) Tables ending with _F are date track tables.
4) To control data tracked rows, every Date Track table must include Effective_start_date & Effective_end_date.
5) The Effective_Start_Date indicates when the record inserted.
6) The Effective_End_Date indicates when the record updated or deleted.
Q20.What is the use of Object Version Number?
1) It is used to capture the latest record from the data base table.
2) When a row is inserted its number is set to 1.
3) If any updates performed on the row then the OVN is incremented.
4) Every API has the OVN parameter.
5) For create API this parameter is defined as an OUT parameter.
6) For update API this parameter is defined as an IN OUT parameter.
7) The APIs use it to check a row has been updated by another user, to prevent overwriting their changes.
Q21.What are basic setups of oracle HRMS?
In oracle HRMS there are so many modules like Core HR, Payroll, Self Service HR, Oracle learning management, iRecruitment, Time and Labour, Compensation Work bench, Oracle Advanced Benefits, Performance Management System etc., Core HR and System Administrator are the Heart of Oracle HRMS.
All basic set ups will do in Core HR with the help of System Administrator.
In system administrator we will create all the Users and Responsibilities, Flex fields, Profile values etc., In core HR we will create Organizations, Locations, Jobs, Positions, Grades, Organization Hierarchy, position Hierarchy, We will create all the employees also. These are the Basic setups in HRMS.
Q22. What is the difference between a Job and a Position?
Job is general one, whereas Position is specific term to its role and responsibilities.
JOB: MANAGER (generic term), SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
POSITION: Finance Manager, HR Manager, Junior SOFTWARE ENGINEER, (this is position which is specific to the role to be played.
Q23. Tell me the name of important Key Flex-Fields (KFFs) in Oracle HRMS?
- Job KFF,
- Grade KFF,
- People Group KFF,
- Position KFF,
- Cost Allocation KFF,
- Competence KFF.
Q24. What is the difference between both SECURED VIEWS and NON SECURED VIEWS?
- Secured views display information only for the current period.
- Unsecured views is used to get the information from the entire rows.
Q25. Define APIs and use in Oracle HRMS?
API’s are used in HR to insert the data into the Base tables. As it’s very secured system, the user does not have the facility to copy the data directly into the Base tables. When we write the inbound interfaces / use WebAdI, the systems will use the APIs to store the data into system. The API are published by oracle with number of parameters. The different types of parameters are IN / INOUT / OUT of these parameters few are mandatory, without which the process won’t complete. Generally when we use API we give data FOR: Object Version Number, Effective Date and P_Validate
HR_EMOYEE_api example: hr_employee_api.create_employee
hr_organization_api Example: hr_organization_api.create_organization
Q26. What are processing types of element?
Elements are nothing but the components of the salary.
For Example: Basic Salary, House Allowance, Transport Earning, Bonus, Loan Recovery etc.
There are 2 types of Processing
1. Recurring: if an entry of this element applies in every period until the entry is ended
2. Non Recurring: if an entry applies in one pay period only.
Q27. What are termination roles of an element?
Termination Rules of an Element:
- Actual Termination: For a nonrecurring element, select ActualTermination if you want the entries to close down at the end of the pay period in which the employee leaves.
- Final close: if you want the entries to stay open beyond the employee’s leaving date so that you can continue to pay the employee.
- The Last Standard Process date defaults to the last day of the pay period in which the employee is terminated, but you can set it to a later period when you terminate an employee.
Q28. What is a security profile?
Security profile provides more security within BG. It helps in determining what users have access to what data. The levels where you can have security profile are: Organization Position Payroll Supervisor User specific: you can restrict / give permission to any user you can also have Custom security
Q29. What is the difference between rehire and reverse-termination?
So the person will have a new service record but the personal details might remain the same? When an employee is terminated as per the process or by mistake and then there is a requirement to call back the employee immediately after termination, is known as reverse termination .It means you reverse the process and retain the employee ?When you reverse terminate the process the termination details are cleared and his employment details continues with the same assignments and with the same service period.
Q30. How do you define B.G?
By default “Setup Business Group” available in the system. This BG info visible to all the employees, to represent a single Unit.Hence in order to make partition on the Employee data (create a separate Group) we need to create new BG. On the whole defining.
Learn Oracle HRMS Training with Real-Time Experience to Build Your Skills
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
Q31. What is Retro Pay in Oracle Payroll? How many types of Retro Pays are available?
Retro Pay is a payment made for an event of past. Retro Pay stands for some old Payment due for the employee. This is used for Back Dated Salary Increments. There are four ways. 1. Retro Pay by Run 2.Retro Pay by Aggregate 3.Retro Pay by Element 4.Enhanced
Q32. How many types of payrolls are there?
- Regular pay
- Quick pay.
Q33. How do you declare bonus of an employee in Oracle HRMS Payroll?
You can define one element (earnings) and use it to pay Bonus. Declaration is based on the functional inputs, suppose company wants to pay Bonus along with January Salary in Every Year, you can write the formulas accordingly. Cheers
Q34. What are the tools used with Oracle HRMS?
Oracle Reports, Discoverer, Standard seeded reports, View/List option of the menu – output could be exported in word/excel, WebADI etc.
Q35. What are the advantages of Oracle HRMS over PeopleSoft HRMS?
Oracle HRMS is more secured than People Soft HRMS.
Q36. What are the reports available with Oracle HRMS?
Absences Report Assignment Status Report Current and Projected Progression Point Values Report Element Link Details Report Employee Increment Results Report Employee Movements Report Employee Summary Report Full Personal Details Report Set Full Applicant Details.
Q37. How Oracle HRMS helps in Budgeting and Costing?
You can set up budgets for non-monetary measures such as headcount or full-time equivalent. When you enter employee assignments to define the work an employee does for your enterprise, you can specify the value of the assignment towards these budgets.
Q38. What is advanced benefits module in Oracle HRMS?
Oracle Advanced Benefits (OAB) takes care of the management of Benefits Administration part.? it has very advanced features like Life Event Triggering / Processing, ? FSA administration, Reimbursement processing, Communications relating to Benefits etc.
Q39. What are the modules available in Oracle HRMS?
Core HRPayroll (Includes Standard Benefits) Adavnced Benefits (OAB) Talent Management (Performance Management) Oracle Time and Labor (OTL) Oracle Learning Management (OLM) iRecruitmentSelf Services HR (SSHR).
Q40. What are the vital features of Oracle HRMS?
Vital features are: People, Assignment, Work Structure, Compensation and Benefits.
Q41. How is new reports created in Oracle HRMS?
Discoverer, BI Reports, Copy existing report and register with different name.
Q42. What is date tracking, how it is used in HRMS ?
Date tracking is a feature in Oracle HRMS esp with all tables whose name send with _F eg:per_all_people_f .Now what happens here is we cannot purge a record .
Q43. What are the key tables used in HRMS?
There are many tables used in HRMS. I have listed some tables. PER_ALL_PEOPLE_FPER_ALL_ASSIGNMENTS_FHR_ALL_ORGANIZATIONS_UNITSPER_LOCATIONS_AL
Q44. What is costing?
Recording the costs of an assignment for accounting or reporting purposes, Using Oracle Payroll, you can calculate and transfer costing information to your general ledger and into systems for project management or labor distribution.
Q45. What are 2 modes of date track in Oracle APPS?
There are two Date Track modes are as follow:
Q46. Can we delete an employee forever? How?
Use Delete personal record? form from front end. But employee should not be a application user (end date the username before delete) and should not be having payroll run data.
Q47. Can a job have multiple positions?
Job is generic. Yes a job can have multiple positions.
Q48. Can you call PL/SQL Package functions from within a Fast Formula?
Yes you can
Q49. Can we want to pass a parameter PAYROLL_ID to this external PL/SQL Function, how do we do it?
The “Define Function” screen has a button named “Context Usage”. This button opens up a window in which you can register the parameters.
Q50. How do you debug a Fast Formula?
You can create a message variable in Fast Formula.
This message variable must also be registered as a Formula Result (In “Formula Result Rule” window).
Best Oracle HRMS Certification Training Course & Get Hired by TOP MNCsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
Q51. What are the various levels where you can Set up Payroll Costing Accounts? Which levels take the highest precedence?
Element Entry – Highest
Assignment – Second Highest
Organization – Third Highest
Element Link – Fourth Highest
Payroll – Fifth Highest
Q52. Technically speaking, how do you know from tables that an Employee has been terminated?
- The Person_Type_ID in PER_PERSON_TYPE_USAGES_F will correspond to System Person Type EX_EMP.
- A record gets created in table PER_PERIODS_OF_SERVICE with Actual_Termination_date being not null.
Q53. How can you make Employee Number generation Automated based on business rule etc?
Use Fast Formula.
Q54. What is the difference between per_people_f and per_all_people_f?
PER_PEOPLE_F is a secured view on top of PER_ALL_PEOPLE_F. The secure view uses an API hr_security.show_person. This API internally checks for an entry in table PER_PERSON_LIST for the logged in person’s security profile. A concurrent program named “Security List Maintenance program” will insert records in PER_PERSON_LIST.
Q55. If you do personalization at both FUNCTION level and Responsibility level, which personalization has higher precedence?
Responsibility level. Responsibility level will override FUNCTION level personalization’s.
Q56. Say you have done a lot of Personalization’s to Self Service Screens. But all these Personalization’s were done in DEVELOPMENT environment. How will you migrate these personalization’s to PRODUCTION environment?
Before 11.5.7…Use AKLOAD
This is a java program given by Oracle. This is the only way you can script it.
In DEV you will do AKLOAD DOWNLOAD ( & other parameters)
In PRD you will do AKLOAD UPLOAD ( & other parameters)
On or after 11.5.10 Use responsibility “Functional Administrator”, then click
on Personalization Tab, and then click on Import/Export.
Next select the documents to be exported.
Go to the UNIX box and tar the personalization’s into a .tar file.
On the Production environment unzip this tar file in location as entered in profile “FND: Personalization Document Root Path”.
Setting up of this profile is mandatory or else Oracle Framework wouldn’t know where to search for the files to be imported.
Q57. How to restrict iRecruitment external visitors to access only responsibilities on the external server?
Set the Server Trust Level for the server to External, Set the Trust Level of the iRecruitment external responsibilities to External too.
Q58. Is SSHR a dependency for iRecruitment?
iRecruitment has no dependence on SSHR.
Q59. Does iRecruitment support “Candidate Qualifying Questionnaires” where the candidate must answer vacancy-specific questions correctly prior to submitting an application?
iRecruitment currently does not support this function, For now this can be achieved by having a set of simple questions using flexfield to get those responses and a user hook to validate them as part of the apply process.
Q60. Do we track vacancy history?
iRecruitment does not track changes to the vacancy. If changes to a field are to be traced use the Audit capability in APPs.
Q61. Ensuring that Costing Information can be provided.
On completion of a payroll run you may need to distribute the associated costs across particular cost centres. Oracle supports this using the Cost Analysis module.
Q62. Can you run payroll processes and reports multi-lingually?
Payroll processes and reports are always submitted and always run in the local language only. This means that US and UK payroll reports can only be run in English.
Q63. How to rehire a terminated employee after a certain time period.
- Set your effective date to the new hire date and query the ex-employee in the People window.
- The Hire Date field displays your effective date.
- Save your work.
Q64. What are the reports which you have done in HR?
This report is used to display the information about the employees, the assignments which were given to the employees along with the payroll details including the Hours Paid, Salary, NI, Pension, Car Allowances and Other Allowances.
Q65.What are core flexfield?
There are 6 Core Flex fields are there:
- People Group
- Cost Allocation
Q66.What is element entry? what is the purpose of element entry?
Element entry is to define element yet here enter that is Earning element or deduction element then calculate net pay.r
Q67.Define Batch Element Entry?
This is an open interface specially designed for elements. With BEE we can quickly incorporate mass updates in any specific elements.
Q68.What are Reversal and Retry?
Reversal can be used to correct run results for one assignment after post-run actions have already occurred. Retry is for correcting mistakes after a payroll process finishes.
Q69.Which elements you link openly in Payroll?
Worker’s Compensation and Vertex (Vertex is a third party software to calculate US Canadian taxes) using Quantum files. (It is part of Vertex software which will be updated as and when the tax and legal rules are changed by the US/Canadian Government. So we keep getting the Vertex patches to bring Quantum files with the up to date tax rules and conditions)
Q70.What is Consolidation Set, Element Set & Assignment Set?
Consolidation Set: A grouping of payroll runs within the same time period for which one can schedule reporting, costing, and post-run processing.
Q71.What are the mandatory fields while creating Payroll?
- Payroll Name
- Period Type
- Start Date
Q72.Define – Quick Pay & Batch Processing
When calculating pay, we can use either
- Quick Pay Process, which is for one employee or
- Batch Process for all employees together
Q73.What is BACS, NACHA?
- BACS: Banks Automated Clearing System. This is the UK system for making direct deposit payments to employees.
- NACHA: National Automated Clearing House Association. This is the US system for making direct deposit payments to employees.