[50+] Best WebMethods Interview Questions and Answers
Last updated on 12th Nov 2021, Blog, Interview Questions
Before attending an interview on webMethods, make sure to be strong in basics. Because basics are the main thing that the interviewers look for. Along with basics, you should also have knowledge of how we can implement the services in webMethods. In this post, we have put together 50+ webMethods interview questions with detailed answers. Go through the below frequently asked webMethods interview questions and answers that help increase your potential in cracking the interview.
1.Explain about EAI
Enterprise application integration (EAI. unites the databases and workflows for business applications. It allows the integration of applications from disparate platforms to share business processes. It simplifies and automates business processes without having to make changes to the existing systems.
2.What are webMethods?
webMethods is an integration platform that focuses on application integration,business process integration, and B2B partner integration. It provides flow services to map any data format into the other format and connects applications together. It was founded by Phillip Merrick and Caren Merrick in 1996 and was later acquired by Software AG in 2007.
3. Name the modules in webMethods Product Suite
- Integration and B2B
- Service-Oriented Architecture
- Business Process Management
- Business Activity Monitoring
The webMethods Product Suite contains four modules,
4. List the tools of webMethods Integration
- webMethods Integration Server
- webMethods Integration Platform
- webMethods Adapters
- webMethods Developer
- webMethods Broker
- webMethods Monitor
- webMethods eStandards Modules
- webMethods Optimize for Infrastructure
- webMethods Trading Networks
- webMethods EDI Module
- webMethods EDIINT
- webMethods PIM
Below are the tools of webMethods integration.
5. What happens when the pub.flow: trace pipeline service is invoked?
When we invoke pub.flow:tracePipeline service, the Integration Server logs the name-value pairs in the pipeline.
6. What is the primary function of the built-in pub.flow: save pipeline service?
It saves the current pipeline to a specific memory location on the Integration Server.
7. How can we remove a system lock from an element?
We can remove the system locks by making the server-side files of an element as readable. Right-click on the locked element, and select lock properties, to view the server-side files of that element. Make the files as readable to unlock them and click on the refresh button.
8. What is the use of a Web Service Connector?
A Web service connector is a flow service that contains input and output signatures. It is generated from the WSDL document in the Integration Server. It invokes a Web Service on a different web server.
9. How to invoke a service from a browser?
To invoke a service, open a browser and give the below URL.
10. Can we restore a session on a server?
If the server goes down or if there is a problem with the network, the developer gets disconnected from the server. When the server gets back online, the developer will get connected to it automatically, and the session will get restored.
11. What is the process for opening a session?
Open the Integration Server and select ‘session’ from the toolbar menu. Give the IP address and port details of the server that you want to connect to.Give the username and password and click on ‘connect’.
12. How can we change the JVM used by Integration Server?
We can change the JDK used by webMethods by updating it in either IntegrationServer\in\server.bat file or IntegrationServer/bin/server.sh file. Change the JDK path as follows and save the file.
13. Explain about startup service
Startup services are used to generate initialization files or for preparing the environment. The server automatically executes a startup service when it loads a package.
14. What is a shutdown service
Shutdown services are used for executing cleanup tasks like closing files and purging temporary data. It gets automatically executed when a package is unloaded from memory.
15. Explain the use of a pipeline in webMethods?
Pipeline refers to a data structure that maintains the input and output values of flow service. It collects inputs and outputs from subsequent services in the flow. When we execute a service in the flow, it will access the data from the pipeline.
16. Define structural transformations
Structural transformations refer to the transformation of data in hierarchical nature. It involves splitting data into several fields, merging fields, renaming fields, etc.
17. What is a flow service?
We can use a flow service to wrap a sequence of services within a single service. It manages the flow of data among the services. We can write the flow service in webMethods flow language.
18. What are the ways to check memory usage?
- Administrator Page
- Top command
- Free command
We can check the memory usage by using any of the below three ways.
19. Explain about webMethods Developer
webMethods Developer is like an IDE used for developing code in the webMethods Integration Server. We can write graphical flows, create, and configure web services. It also provides tools to test and debug the created flows.
20. If a flow exit does not specify a ‘form’, what is the default behavior?
If the exit is not specified in a loop, it will throw a java.lang.NullPointerException.
21. How do ACLs affect locking?
We can give authorization to a specific user group by using ACLs (Access Control List. . An element can have different ACLs assigned for each level of access. Users in the allowed list of ACLs can lock an element.
22. Can we change the order of steps in a flow service?
A flow service has an order of sequence steps. We can change the order of these steps by using the buttons present on the editor panel. We can use ‘Shift Up’ and ‘Shift Down’ buttons to change the steps, ‘Shift Left’ and ‘Shift Right’ buttons to move a service or branch in a sequence.
23. Explain the difference between a drop and delete pipeline variable
The drop pipeline variable is used for removing a variable from the list of variables. It makes the variable available for garbage collection.The delete pipeline variable is for removing a variable from the current view. If the variable is also present in the previous pipeline, it will appear when you change the view.
24. How can we sort using the JDBC select adapter service?
The sort function is available in the ‘select’ tab. It has a column that says ‘Sort Order’ where we can specify the column that we want to sort by.
25. Can we organize connection pools?
Avoid connection pool sharing across different functional areas, even if they are pointing to the same database. If the pool is being used by multiple types, then it becomes difficult to tune the size of the pool. It is also difficult to change the database settings without impacting the other.
26. Can we use a sequence as the target of a branch?
Yes, we can use a sequence as a target of a branch. We have to set the evaluate label property of the branch step to true. Then set the label property of the sequence to the value that it has to process.
27. Explain about branch operation?
The branch operation supports conditional processing. It is similar to if-then-else functionality in other programming languages. Based on the value of a variable at runtime, a branch operation gets executed conditionally.
28. What are some of the common issues faced while migrating a project?
- A missing jar file
- Thread hung
- JDBC adapter is not suspending
- The scheduler is missed in internal DB or the next run time is not visible
Here are some of the common issues faced while migrating a project.
29. What should we set the count parameter to repeat operation to execute as long as the specified repeat condition remains true?
To execute a repeat operation as long as the specified condition, we have to set the count parameter to ‘-1’.
30. What is the default port to which the webMethods integration service has an HTTP listener?
The default port for the HTTP listener is 5555.
31. What Is webMethods Developer?
webMethods Developer is a graphical development tool that you use to build, edit, and test integration logic. It provides an integrated development environment in which to develop the logic and supporting objects that carry out the work of an integration solution. It also provides tools for testing and debugging the solutions you create.
32. What are the Major categories of EAI?
- Batch data transfer, OR
- On-line propagation of data updates
- Data is accessed through published API services
- Common services shared by different applications
- The controller reacts to the user input. It creates and sets the model.
- Common user interface (e.g. web based. for unified access to multiple applications.
Integration can be at different application layers:
Data Level Integration:
API Level Integration:
Service Method Level Integration:
User Interface Level Integration:
33. What are the Advantages of EAI?
- Streamlines business processes and helps raise organizational efficiency.
- Real time information access among systems.
- Maintains information integrity across multiple systems.
- Speedier transactions at reduced costs.
- If one of the applications misbehaves and requires it to be shut down for maintenance, then with EAI, we can easily decouple it from the rest of the systems. Which avoids having to bring down other systems.
Advantages of EAI solutions are:
Learn WebMethods Certification Training Course to Build Your SkillsWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
34. What are the main companies which provide EAI tools / software?
- MQSeries (IBM.
- BizTalk (Microsoft.
- WebLogic (BEA.
35. What Is an Element?
An element is an item that exists in the Navigation panel in webMethods Developer.Elements include folders, services, specifications, IS document types, triggers, and ISschemas. In the Navigation panel, servers and packages are not considered to be elements.
36. What Is the Pipeline?
The pipeline is the general term used to refer to the data structure in which input and output values are maintained for a flow service. It allows services in the flow to share data.The pipeline starts with the input to the flow service and collects inputs and outputs from subsequent services in the flow. When a service in the flow executes, it has access to all data in the pipeline at that point.
37. What happens when the pub.flow:tracePipeline service is invoked?
The Integration Server logs the name-value pairs in the pipeline at that time.
38. When creating a BRANCH flow element, what is the purpose of the “scope” field on the properties tab?
To restrict pipeline access to only the data in this document
39. What is the primary function of the built-in pub.flow:savePipeline service?
Save the current pipeline to a named memory location on the Integration Server.
40. For a REPEAT operation to execute as long as the specified repeat condition remains true, the count parameter needs to be set to:
The count parameter needs to be set to “-1 ” .
41. The Flow Services are physically stored on the webMethods Integration Server in the form of:
Flow Services are physically stored on the webMethods Integration Server as “XML” files.
42. What Is The Default Behaviour, If A Flow Exit Does Not Specify A “from”?
$loop will be assumed, and a com.wm.lang.flow.FlowException will be thrown if the EXIT is not in a LOOP
43. An Integration Server Package May Have One Or More Startup Services. When Does A Startup Service Execute?
Whenever the package is loaded or reloaded
44. By Default, The Webmethods Integration Server Has An Http Listener Assigned To Which Port?
The Port is 5555
45. How Can The Webmethods Integration Server Logging Date Format Be Changed?
By editing the watt.server.dateStampFmt parameter in the server.cnf file
46. When Creating Flow Services, What Is The Purpose Of A Sequence Operation?
The purpose of Sequence operation is to group a subset of Flow operations so that they are treated as a unit.
47. If The Webmethods Integration Server Is Started With From The Server Root Directory With This Command, “binserver.bat -debug 9 -log None”, What Does This Tell The Server To Do?
Start in level 9 debug mode and write all server log information to the screen.
48. After A Default Installation, In Order To Use The Pub.file:getfile Service, What Needs To Be Done?
pub.file:getFile does not require any modifications to the Integration Server.
49. How To Move Flow Steps?
Open the webMethods developer in EditPrespective.Select the flow step u wanna move just drag it to the place u want to move.Otherwise use the arrow buttons on the editor pane to move the selected flow steps.
50. How To Find Elements In The Navigation Panel?
Just right click on the element which u want to see then u click Locate in navigation option then u can see that element in the navigation panel.
51. How Do I Change The Jvm Used By Integration Server?
To change to the JDK used by webMethods you will need to edit the IntegrationServerbinserver.bat or IntegrationServer/bin/server.sh file used to start up Integration Server.
Edit the file and change the following line to point to the JDK path
52. How Do I See The Java Code For My Flow Service?
Flow is not turned into java code. It resides on disk as XML representing the flow operations which is then parsed and turned into an in-memory java tree of the operations. Although the underlying code that implements the flow operations is java, it is stored on disk as XML.
53. How Do I Throw An Exception When Using A Try-catch Block?
Set a flag in your catch block or leave a variable holding the error message in the pipeline. Outside the catch block put a branch on that variable or flag and if it is non-null then exit with failure or call the service that generates the exception.
54. How Should I Organise Connection Pools?
If you have adapter notifications and adapter services then you will need to have two separate connections. Otherwise you may get strange errors about transactions and the like. You should also avoid having connection pools shared across different functional areas, even if they are pointing to the same database. The reason for this is that tuning the size of the pool becomes quite difficult if you have multiple types of usage of a pool. You are also unable to easily change the database settings for one without impacting on the other.
One approach that seems to work quite well is to have separate pools for each package (generally.. not a hard and fast rule though. , as your packages should generally be divided up according to functional area too.
55. How To Preserve Existing Pipeline Before A Restore Pipeline Step?
Set the “$merge” variable in restorePipeline or “merge” in restorePipelineFromFile to be true. This will ensure that everything in the pipeline before a restorePipeline step is preserved.
56. Explain about Pub-Sub Architecture, where do you implement this?
- In this architecture source system will publish the data and the target system will receive the data.
- In this Source system will publish the data to Broker, from broker multiple target systems will subscribe.
1. Point-to-point Architecture
2. Point-to-Multiple Architecture
57. When we use REPEAT, EXIT flow steps?
REPEAT step is used when we want a particular step to be repeated provided with some conditions.
EXIT step is used to exit from any loop or from the whole flow step
58. What are client groups?
client groups contains a list of clients and it configures which documents its client could publish and subscribe to.
59. What are the disadvantages of EAI?
- Constant change: The very nature of EAI is dynamic and requires dynamic project managers to manage their implementation.
- Lack of EAI experts : EAI requires knowledge of many issues and technical aspects.
- EAI is a tool paradigm: EAI is not a tool, but rather a system and should be implemented as such.
- Building interfaces is an art : Engineering the solution is not sufficient. Solutions need to be negotiated with user departments to reach a common consensus on the final outcome. A lack of consensus on interface designs leads to excessive effort to map between various systems data requirements.
- Loss of detail : Information that seemed unimportant at an earlier stage may become crucial later.
- Accountability : Since so many departments have many conflicting requirements, there should be clear accountability for the system’s final structure.
The main disadvantages of using EAI systems:
60. How do ACLs Affect locking?
ACLS are used to give the authorization to the particular user groups. If you give ACL to the administrator then the admin group users who are there in that group can have access to that particular service. Otherwise we can not use it. This is called ACL locking.
61. what are the indices in MAP flow steps?
In MAP Step Indices Is When You Have Array of data if you want to MAP One of the elements in Array to the target Element then you can Use the indices.
62. Explain that IS is a thread or process?
A single process might contain multiple threads; allthreads within a process share the same state and same memory space, and can communicate with each other directly,because they share the same variables. This is a process.
63. Explain What are the new features in 8.0 compared to 7.1?
- My webmethods
- webMethods ApplinX
- webMethods Business Events
- webMethods Business Rules
- webMethods communicate
- webMethods Content Service Platform
- webMethods Mediator
- webMethods OneData
- webMethods ProcessEngine
- webMethods designer
64. If I don’t want to repeat then what do I need to do?
put exit step in repeat loop whenever you want to exit from repeat.
65. Scenario: I have a loop A, under which i have a child loop B, under which I have a Branch with few services with a condition. If a condition is satisfied , then I need my branch to exit from loop B. What should I do?
Place a Exit Step inside the branch condition and set the property exit from to “Loop”.
65. What are extended settings?
extended settings are basically done for specifying values to some of the internal keys of the Integration server.
Like we can specify java compiler at this setting and whenever we compile any java service IS will take this compiler only for compiling the java code.
66. If I have a parent sequence with the property set- exit on success, n the try sequence block set to exit on failure, n the catch sequence block too set to failure, what is the result?
In this case if any step in try block fails it will exit that and come to catch block and if any step in catch block fails it will exit from the catch block and skip rest of the flow steps.
Get JOB Oriented WebMethods Training for Beginners By MNC Experts
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
67. How to convert a document list to document?If the document list contains documents and documents contain strings field. How to convert?
Directly invoke the service pub.document:documentListToDocument to convert document list into document.
This service is the built in services and its available in wMpublic package in developer.
68. How can we catch exception errors on run time mode using Flow language in WebMethods? and how can we send an error description as an output parameter?
- > sequence ———- Succeeded
- |–sequence ————- try block——
- |–sequence ————- catchBlock—–
- |– invoke getLastError service
69. What is the file (.jar. name that is shared between WebMethods integrated with JD Edwards?
Connector.jar, database.jar, jdeutil.jar, kernel.jar, log4j.jar, xalan.jar, xerces.jar, XTS.jar are the Jar files that you need to paste in the “EnterpriseOne_install_dir system classes”
For enterpriseOne versions 8.9 and 8.10…
70. When to use a loop in a program?
Loop is used to repeat a specific block of code an unknown number of times, until a condition is met. For example, if we want to ask a user for a number between 1 and 10, we don’t know how many times the user may enter a larger number, so we keep asking “while the number is not between 1 and 10”.
71. Is it safe to use webMethods for the government?
With full auditability & traceability, you can validate data all the way back to its trusted source. webMethods is not only fast and reliable, it’s secure, so you won’t have to worry about any problems in that regard. There’s no need to wait. Connect systems in the cloud today using the webMethods Government Integration Hub.
72. What is the use of webMethods in business?
WebMethods main purposes is business process management, application integration and service bus deployment. Three directions contain all parts of Corporate Digitalization which are promoted by the vendor of WebM – Software AG.
73. Why do we need webMethods for government integration?
Complex integration projects often mean failed projects and slower time to market. Not with webMethods. The Government Integration Hub built on webMethods simplifies connecting everything from IoT devices to legacy systems, across government resources and with industry partners and financial institutions.
74. What does webMethods appmesh mean for Microservices management?
Bring order to the microservices chaos. webMethods AppMesh is the chaos-killer platform, built to bring application context to your microservices landscape. Manage microservices alongside APIs from the same UI.
75. Do you need webMethods connectors by the dozen?
Connectors by the dozen let you plug applications into webMethods Integration Server—no coding required! These connectors “speak” Salesforce.com®, SAP, Oracle®, J2EE®, .NET® and most other leading technologies. Go to the market faster!
76. What do you need to know about webMethods Io B2B?
Business documents that partners typically exchange include purchase orders, order statuses, purchase order acknowledgments, invoices, and other domain-specific documents. webMethods.io B2B enables your corporation to connect to other organizations to form a business-to-business (B2B. network.
77. What do you need to know about webMethods fabric?
webMethods is a company that specializes in business process integration software for the enterprise. The company’s flagship product suite provides an integrated platform that includes both service-oriented architecture (SOA. and business process management (BPM. . The webMethods Fabric suite is used by 1,500 customers around the globe.
78. Where are the headquarters of webMethods, Inc.?
Optimizing the efficiency of business processes leads to improved business process productivity and ROI. webMethods was founded in 1996 and is based in Fairfax, Virginia. The company has offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia Pacific and Japan. webMethods (WEBM. is publicly traded on the Nasdaq.
79. When to use functional acknowledgments in webmethods.io B2B?
Functional acknowledgments are generated only for inbound documents from a trading partner. Functional acknowledgments are not created when a document submission is internally tested using the Test Document feature, or when a document is submitted to webMethods.io B2B by an integration.
80. Which is the preferred outbound channel in webmethods.io?
A preferred outbound channel refers to a partner’s preferred protocol through which it wants to receive documents from webMethods.io B2B. In webMethods.io B2B, go to Partners > Profiles. Click the partner profile for which you want to associate an outbound channel.
81. How to access webmethods.io B2B business documents?
You can access these documents on webMethods.io Integration by using the EDI application. In webMethods.io B2B, go to Documents > Add Document > EDI . Select the following information as required. The document standard from the list as required. For a complete list of standard documents, see Supported Business Documents.
82. Is it easier to connect SAAS apps with webMethods?
With webMethods.io Integration, it’s never been easier to connect your SaaS apps. A powerful integration Platform-as-a-Service (iPaaS. , it provides a combination of capabilities offered by ESBs, data integration systems, API management tools and B2B gateways.
83. Do you need a firewall for webMethods Integration?
Quickly connect your webMethods Integration Server to webMethods.io Integration to create reliable and secure cloud-to-on-premises integrations. All connections are initiated from your on-premises Integration Server, without needing firewall ports.
84. How does webmethods.io integration work with Evernote?
The translated text will then be sent to your Gmail account. All this will be done automatically, within seconds. If 10 notes are created in your Evernote account, webMethods.io Integration will repeat the same process 10 times, while you sit and watch the magic happen. This is an example of a simple workflow.
85. Which is the best integration platform for SaaS?
Software AG’s open integration platform is easily scalable, ready to integrate your on-premises applications to SaaS applications and proven by leading enterprises. Analysts consistently recognize Software AG for integration capabilities.
86. How does a webhook work with webmethods.io?
As soon as an event occurs in this external source, it will send a JSON payload via an HTTP POST request to webMethods.io Integration. This payload contains the details of the event. A webhook can work as a trigger for your workflow.
87. How to rename webmethods.io integration workflow canvas?
Click on the Create New Workflow button. You will see the webMethods.io Integration workflow canvas. To rename the workflow, click on the Edit icon given beside the workflow name, at the top left corner of the canvas. A new window appears from where you can modify workflow details such as name, tags and description.
88. How can I use webhook with Evernote?
For instance, you can provide the webhook URL to Evernote, and define that the URL should be notified whenever a new note is created in your account. Now, whenever a new note is created in your Evernote account, Evernote will make an HTTP POST request (with details of the created note in its body. .
89. How to fetch webhook payload from webmethods.io?
While configuring the request, ensure to provide the request body in JSON format and set the content-type to JSON (Application/JSON. . Next, navigate back to the Webhook configuration window in webMethods.io Integration and click on Fetch to retrieve the Webhook payload data.
90. How to add Auth to webmethods.io integration?
Authorization – For Postman to send this HTTP request, you will first have to enter your Username and Password associated with your webMethods.io Integration tenant. To do this, click on the Authorization tab, set Type to Basic Auth, and add your credentials in the Username and Password fields. Next]
91. How big is the webhook payload in AWS?
For both AWS and Azure, webhook payload is supported up to 10 MB. The webhook payload data added in the source workflow is not retained when the workflow is cloned, imported, or deployed. You will need to reconfigure the webhook settings in each cloned, imported, and deployed workflow. To configure webhook payload, click on the Next button.
92. What happens when you reprocess a document in webMethods?
When you reprocess a document, you send the document back through the processing rules. For example, you will reprocess a document if the document was processed by the wrong processing rule. Note: If you reprocess a document for which the document attributes were not saved, the document will not match with processing rules that use that criteria.
93. Why do we need webmethods.io integration platform?
The rapid adoption of SaaS applications such as Salesforce.com®, Marketo®, SuccessFactors® and ServiceNow® is driving the need to integrate cloud applications fast. webMethods.io Integration is the Integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS. that brings this capability to your entire organization.
94. What are the advantages of using webMethods in business?
The Advantage of using Webmethods: It delivers Improved business responsiveness: Get real-time visibility into your enterprise-wide business processes & up minute status information.
User-focused information: That defines the exact data to be captured to support you’re analytical & decision-making requirements.
95. What are webMethods used for?
webMethods is an Integration tool which helps to connect 2 heterogeneous systems. It has built in tools to quickly connectp most of the systems without any existing code changes to the end systems.
96. What are the required skills for a webMethods job?
Key skills required for the job are: n WebMethods-L1, (Mandatory. .As a Lead, you are responsible for managing a small team of analysts, dev 5+ years of experience developing in Software AG webMethods.
97. What can you do with a flowservices integration?
With FlowServices, you can encapsulate a sequence of services within a single service and manage the flow of data among them, and create complex, advanced integration scenarios involving multiple application endpoints. In the Flow Editor, you used a graphical drag and drop tool to create integrations.
98. How does a loop work in webmethods.io?
You identify a single array field to use as input when you set the properties for the Loop. You can also designate a single field for the output. Loop collects an output value each time it runs through the loop and creates an output array that contains the collected output values.
99. What does the loop action do in webMethods?
The Loop action lets you run an action or a set of actions in a loop. When you drag this action to the canvas, it looks like a block, within which you can add multiple actions and create a mini-workflow.
100. What’s the difference between a repeat and a loop?
Repeat: Repeat is a conditional based flow step. The execution of child steps will depend on “REPEAT ON” value (SUCCESS / FAILURE in property panel. . Loop: You should perform a loop operation on an array of items (String list/Document list/Object list. .