Roadmap to CSM (Certified Scrum Master) Certification – Learning Guide
Last updated on 12th Jul 2020, Blog, General
The Certified Scrum Master course is one of the most popular and globally known certification course and this is offered by Scrum Alliance.
A Scrum Master acts as a coordinator for a product development group. The Scrum Master helps in the process of information exchange. This technique permits a group to roll out the improvements rapidly, as per the standards. The Scrum Master deals with the procedure for how data is exchanged.
The CSM training comprehend Scrum purpose and practices, and give a level of information and ability well beyond that of regular venture managers. The CSM cooperates together to the Scrum team and Scrum framework. It also shields the team from both inside and outside diversions.
The CSM training program includes classroom training. This course is very helpful to the people who are aspiring to make a career in project management.
Search for the globally accepted/recognized/authorized Scrum Alliance.
Get yourself registered for the course and attend the two days mandatory training class which will be taken by the certified Scrum Trainers. Learn the proven skills in Scrum, it’s terminologies, strategies, and values.
At the end of the class, take up the exam.
You can take up the exam only after the completion of the training program. The exam usually consists of 35 questions with multiple choice. To pass the exam, the candidate must write at least 24 or more correct answers.
The candidates have an option to take a break, pause and restart within the exam time. Normally the duration of the exam would be one hour. After choosing the answers, complete the test by clicking submit button. The candidate can see their score on the computer screen.
If you fail the CSM training exam for the first time, you can re-attempt within 60 days of your CSM course. You can re-take the exam immediately if you want. Nonetheless, if you fail in the second attempt too, then you will have to pay an exam fee $25 to Scrum Alliance. The Scrum Alliance prescribes that it is ideal to re-enroll to the CSM training if you fail on the third attempt.
If you pass, go ahead and complete the Scrum evaluation and receive the certification by following the steps below:
- Log in to Scrum Alliance
- Complete the online evaluation
- Click the check box against the Agree to the terms and conditions and submit the form
- Download the certificate and take the printout
- Upon passing the examination, a candidate must acknowledge the license agreement and Scrum Alliance membership profile must be completed
- Congrats, now you are a Certified Scrum Master and you have become a member of Scrum Alliance.
Who must go for CSM Training?
The following professionals may opt for this course:
- Managers of Scrum teams
- Members of Scrum team like product owners, developers
- The teams transitioning to Scrum
- The candidate who are aspiring to start their career in Scrum Master
- Software Architects
- Coding professionals
As a Certified ScrumMaster, you will be known as being part of an elite group engaged with Scrum Alliance. The members of Scrum Alliance are meant to be Scrum specialists, guiding the project teams to success. Here is why CSM certification should be a part of your skill set:
- Based on the recent salary survey by Ziprecruiter, the average annual salary for the Certified ScrumMaster is $116,659 a year.
- CSM certification enables you to work across major companies like IBM, Tata Consultancy Services, CapGemini, Honeywell, BOSCH, Accenture, Deloitte and many more in several job roles, such as:
- Scrum Master
- Delivery Lead
- Agile Scrum Master
- Program Manager
- Project Manager
- Agile Coach
- Automation Engineer
- Project Lead
PROCESS TO BECOME A CERTIFIED SCRUM MASTER
STEPS TO BECOME A CSM
- Step 1: Follow an easy and hassle-free approach to register on KnowledgeHut, a Global REP of Scrum Alliance (SA).
- Step 2: Take the 2-day CSM course and get instructed by Certified Scrum Trainers (CSTs).
- Step 3: SA will send you a link to create login credentials on successful completion of course.
- Step 4: Click on the link received from Scrum Alliance and create your own login credentials.
- Step 5: Take the 1 hour online CSM test which comprises of 50 MCQs by using those credentials.
- Step 6: Score a minimum of 74% to pass the CSM test, after completing the course.
- Step 7: Once the test is cleared, you will be requested to accept a license agreement.
- Step 8: After accepting it, you will receive CSM designation & a 2-year membership from SA.
- Step 9: You have to renew the certification once every two years.
Follow a hassle-free step to make the certification process easy:
- Enroll yourself on iZenBridge, a Registered Education Provider of Scrum Alliance.
- Attend our two days CSM training with our experienced Certified Scrum Trainers.
- Avail a hard copy of the Course Material.
- Get free access to our e-learning portal, including mock tests.
- Take an online CSM certification exam within 14 days.
- Claim your Certification on successful completion of the exam.
- Get two years of membership with Scrum Alliance.
Learn Scrum Master Training from Real-Time Experts
- Instructor-led Sessions
- Real-life Case Studies
- It’s an open book exam with a 1-hour timebox.
- You must appear for the first attempt within 14 days of the workshop.
- The exam will be of 50 MCQs.
- Score a minimum of 74% (37 out of 50) to pass the CSM test.
- Candidate must carry a laptop and internet connection with him to appear for the exam.
- In case of failure, you must appear for the second attempt within 90 days of the workshop.
Important after CSM
- Certified Scrum Master is a basic certification to enter into an agile world. Moreover, Small scale and large scale organization are transforming from waterfall to agile methodology.
- Your organization must be thinking of Agile implementation. You are well equipped to lead the change as a Scrum Master. There are certain must-have skills such as facilitation, Coaching and communication. As a scrum master, you master these skills by practicing on your day to day job.
- The faster way of gaining these skills is to go for the next level of training and certifications. The certifications like Agile Team Facilitator and Certified Agile Coach are two good examples. Both certifications are from ICagile and recognized internationally for their rigor and content.
The objective of the CSM course is to teach you the fundamentals of Scrum techniques and give you the intellectual tools needed to implement Scrum. Our CSM course curriculum is designed for both budding and experienced project managers. The Certified ScrumMaster Syllabus covers the basics and leads up to advanced Scrum concepts.
Here’s the CSM course outline:
Fundamentals of Scrum
The Certified ScrumMaster course introduces you to the basic concepts of Scrum and Agile. It covers the four values and twelve principles contained in the Agile Manifesto, and the five Scrum Foundations values. It takes you through the seven objectives of Scrum and Agile: Intro to Lean, Agile, and Scrum, Agile Facilitation, Agile Coaching, Service to the Development Team, Service to the Product Owner, Service to the Organization, and Scrum Mastery.
Concepts and Terminologies in Scrum
The Certified ScrumMaster course curriculum will then cover the basic concepts and commonly used terminologies. Scrum terms like Backlog, Burndown chart, Kanban, Poker Planning, Stand up / Daily Meeting, etc. are globally used terminologies that every Scrum master needs to be familiar with.
crum Roles & Scrum Ceremonies
You will be introduced to the three roles and core concepts (Scrum ceremonies) of Scrum. Scrum comprises of three roles: the product owner, the scrum master and the scrum team. It consists of three artefacts, which are the product backlog, sprint backlog, and product increment.
Finally, it also consists of four important activities: the daily stand up meeting, the sprint planning meeting, the sprint review meeting and the retrospective meeting. You will be taught the other aspects of Scrum, along with these core concepts.
Core Competencies of Scrum
The Certified ScrumMaster curriculum will cover the nuances and skills needed to manage and motivate a team as the Scrum Master. You will be taught the concepts of Coaching Agile Practices, Enforcing Rules, Removing Distractions, Servant leader, Forecasting, etc.
Many Responsibilities of a Scrum Master
A Scrum Master can undertake multiple roles within an organization: Facilitator, Servant-Leader, Manager, Mentor, Coach, Motivator, Advisor, etc. The tools and methods of managing teams/tasks could change based on responsibility, and you will be taught how to facilitate each responsibility within the organization.