The AWS Engineer: Job Roles, Salaries & the Career Path [In-Demand]
Last updated on 13th Jul 2020, Blog, General
What is AWS?
- Amazon web service is a cloud-based platform that provides scalable, cost-effective, reliable, and easy-to-use cloud computing solutions to businesses worldwide. The offerings of AWS are not limited to a particular country, continent, or time zone. It is for every business that is ready to pay to use AWS for making the most of what the cloud has to offer. Amazon is behind this project, which is developed by combining SaaS or software as a service, IaaS or infrastructure as a service, and PaaS or platform as a service.
- It is an amalgamation of several products and services that are associated with cloud computing on an individual level. This is one of the most profitable divisions of Amazon that lends a host of equipment, tools, technologies, and support required to provide the varied range of services that it offers.
- From remote computing, servers, security, and storage to mobile development, networking, and email, AWS offers you everything that you need to help your business benefit from different cloud computing services.
- AWS can be divided into three categories, namely Glacier, the cost-effective storage service, S3, the storage system of Amazon, and EC2, the virtual machine service offered by Amazon. The significance of all the services that AWS offers and the scale at which it offers them have taken it way past its competitors.
- It is the leading name when it comes to cloud computing services. We have facts to support this statement. An independent analysis done in February 2020 reveals that AWS commands nearly one-third of the cloud computing market with 32.4% market share. The other two names in the list are Azure with 17.6% and Google Cloud with 6% market share.
- AWS is located worldwide with its servers located in as many as 76 availability zones. If we talk about its availability in countries, we have to mention that it has its presence in 245 countries across the world. The availability regions mentioned above are separated to allow users to put their services under geographical restrictions if they want to.
This diversification is also done keeping in mind the security of the stored data. As we mentioned earlier, AWS is a collective term that encompasses a host of cloud computing services. We have listed down a few of those:
- Data management
- Storage databases
- Big data management
- Artificial intelligence
- Mobile development
- Hybrid cloud
Who is an AWS architect?
- Simply put, an AWS architect is someone who has an AWS solutions architect certification. An AWS architect has a number of responsibilities in the solution development team, out of which the most important one is designing applications or services within an organisation. In addition to understanding how AWS works, the AWS architect also needs to know how it can work with businesses.
- There is a balance between technical and business skills. The solution architect, as they are often called, work in collaboration with the enterprise architect of the organisation to seek strategic direction in building applications or services. The focus of this collaboration is primarily on the technical things related to the development of a solution as well as the impact those technical nuances may have on business outcomes. This information comes in very handy for the development team when it is in the stage of implementing a solution.
- AWS architects need skills of working with and managing both people as well as processes. One of their responsibilities includes standing in front of the management of a company and explaining to them the most complex problems in the simplest way possible. They may even be required to explain those same complex concepts in a different way to a completely different audience. So, not only are they required to have an expert understanding of technical concepts that are often complex but also the communication and people skills to ensure that they describe those in a way that is easy to understand for the audience sitting in front of them.
What does an AWS architect do?
- An AWS architect commands an exceptional position amongst all other developers. AWS architects are involved in building and integrating information and computer applications to meet the desired business needs. Their work often starts with the integration of software and hardware to ensure that the purpose defined by the customer is properly served.
- They are also required to examine the current architecture and systems before moving any further with development. They collaborate with both business and technical staff to suggest solutions that can help in building more efficient systems.
- The role of an AWS architect in a project starts as soon as the computer system analyst starts developing project requirements. Then they are part of the project through its completion. The job of a solution architect also entails putting together development tasks and ensuring that the development team is motivated enough through the life cycle of a project. As far as their most important responsibility is concerned, it has to be executing the underlying vision of developing a solution.
- An AWS architect may also be required to be involved in development processes, including programming and testing as well as device and system integration. What they usually do is select a technology that they think will be right for a particular problem.
- In all of this, they can’t, even for a second, forget about maintaining a balance between architectural problems and enterprise problems. Most of the people employed in this position already have a lot of experience in software development. This helps them in being more effective as well as productive.
What does a solution architect focus on?
Here are the key areas that a solution architect is focussed on:
- Utilising technology to resolve business problems
- The look and feel of the application
- The framework or platform to use for creating the solution
- Determines risks that come with utilising third-party frameworks or platforms
- Maintenance and future scalability
AWS Salary in India
- Since the inception of AWS, people with AWS knowledge have always been one of the biggest highlights of any report, discussion, or news on skills and salaries in the IT industry. This is majorly down to how fast and in huge numbers have organisations adopted AWS cloud services.
- People who pursue to become AWS architects or developers have a very bright future not only when it comes to their salaries but also the scope of progress in their respective careers. As you get used to the job, gain more experience, and learn the tricks of the trade, there is no limit to what you can earn out of these jobs. Let us put a few figures on the table to back what we are saying.
- As per Glassdoor, the average AWS salary in India starts from Rs. 6,07,000 per annum. It could even start at Rs. 3,83,000 per annum if you don’t get a chance to work at a top firm or don’t have relevant experience. It could reach a high of Rs.1,537,000 per annum depending not only on the company you are employed at but also your location Source
Get AWS Certification Courses with Industry Standard SyllabusWeekday / Weekend BatchesSee Batch Details
Factors Affecting AWS Salary in India
AWS’s salary in India can be affected by multiple factors. Let’s see some primary salary affecting factors:
AWS Salary in India: Based on Location
- The average salary of a solution architect in the metros is as follows:
- New Delhi – Rs. 7,67,000 per annum, Mumbai – Rs. 1,195,000 per annum, Chennai – Rs. 6,44,000 per annum, Hyderabad: Rs.5,51,000 per annum, and Kolkata – Rs. 9,50,000 per annum. (All these figures are taken from Glassdoor)
- According to PayScale, There is a significant difference in the salaries of an AWS architect for different job locations. So AWS architects working in Bangalore earn nearly 7% more than the national average. Pune is next in the list with an AWS salary that is 4% higher than the national average.
- Teh other two cities where an AWS architect can expect to earn more TEMPthan teh national average in India are Gurgaon (3%) and Hyderabad (1%). On teh other side of teh spectrum, we have cities that offer their AWS architects lesser salaries TEMPthan teh national average. Chennai offers AWS architects 10% less salary TEMPthan teh national average. Mumbai (5%) and Noida (2%) also offer lower salaries.
AWS Salary in India: Based on Experience
- Your experience in the field also has a lot to do with the amount of money you will be making every year. If you have less than one year of experience as an AWS architect, you will make somewhere around Rs.4,80,000 in a year. If you have been around for a while and have developed great skills in the meantime, you will be paid around Rs. 8,00,000 every year. Now, the other two experience categories are for senior-level architects whose job involves much more of the management and supervision side of things.
- Professionals with 6-14 years of experience can make a maximum of Rs. 1,800,000 per annum, while those with more than 15 years of experience have a chance to cross the 3,000,000/year mark. If you are senior solution architect, have the relevant experience, and are working with a top company, you can go up to Rs. 5,000,000 per annum (These figures are taken from LinkedIn)
AWS Salary in India: Based on Employer
- Let us now discuss the salaries that top employers pay their AWS solution architects with Associate Certifications. The average salary that,
- Accenture pays its solution architects is around Rs. 4,36,000 -30,00,000 per annum.
- Tata Consultancy Services pays its AWS architects Rs. 4,20,000 – 20,00,000 per annum. Other names include Ericsson Inc – 20,00,000 per annum,
- HCL Technologies Ltd – Rs. 2,98,000- 20,00,000 per annum, Wipro Technologies Ltd – Rs. 4,00,000 – 20,00,000 per annum, Techmahindra Ltd – Rs. 3,50,000 per annum – 20,00,000 per annum. Source
AWS Salary in India: Based on Skill Set
- There is a difference in salaries in terms of skill set as well. The average salary of a DevOps Engineer is somewhere around Rs. 7,25,000 per annum. On the other hand, a Solution Architect with some experience makes around Rs. 1,000,000 per annum. Other skills include Software Engineer – Rs. 6,22,000 per annum, Technical Architect – 20,00,000 per annum, System Architecture – 20,00,000 per annum, and IT Consultant – 10,00,000 per annum.
- Also, there are different skills that can have an impact on your salary. Whether you have that skill or not can increase or decrease our salary. Let us look at a few of those skills. Proficiency in software architecture can help your chances of getting a higher salary than those that don’t have this skill. You can expect as much as a 16% increase in your salary. Other skills that can help you get better salaries as an AWS architect include enterprise application integration (14%), enterprise solutions (13%), Java/J2EE (10%), cloud computing (9%), system architecture (5%), and IT consulting (3%).